TIPTON, Iowa—Stormy Scott rolled to his fourth consecutive United States Modified Touring Series main event victory Wednesday night at the Cedar County Raceway.
Stealing the lead away from Johnny Scott with 28 laps complete, Stormy Scott held off his younger twin brother for the final 12 laps en route to a $2,000 payday.
Zack VanderBeek, who led the first four laps of the feature race, held on for a third-place finish with Dereck Ramirez and defending USMTS national champion Rodney Sanders rounding out the top five.
Austin Siebert, Jake Gallardo, Brad Dierks, Daniel Hilsabeck and Bryan Rowland finished sixth through tenth.
On Thursday, the USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy descends on the Buena Vista Raceway in Alta, Iowa, for the Battle at the Beaver and the first of four straight shows in the Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region presented by Day Motor Sports.
Friday finds the fenderless purveyors of fast at the Chateau Raceway in Lansing, Minn., for the 7th Annual Mike Guttormson Memorial, followed by the 12th Annual A&A Electric Minnesota Spring Challenge at the Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minn., on Saturday, May 24.
The Memorial Day Weekend wraps up Sunday, May 25, at the Upper Iowa Speedway in Decorah, Iowa.
Comprising 12 events in 25 days, the Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region will be a flurry of action with most of the top open wheel dirt modified pilots in the region, and from around the country, tackling some of the most prestigious now-thawed speedplants in America.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy – Major League Bowhunter Central Region presented by Day Motor Sports
Cedar County Raceway, Tipton, Iowa
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. All drivers were locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
C&R RACING HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (2) 95 Dylan Smith (R), Osceola, Neb.
3. (7) 4R Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (6) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
5. (5) 77 Joe Beal, Milan, Ill.
6. (4) 99 R.J. Gonzales, Moline, Ill.
7. (3) 20f John Fellman, Blue Grass, Iowa.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (1) 2S Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (3) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo.
3. (2) 77 Kurt Kile, Nichols, Iowa.
4. (4) 22D Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
5. (6) 1 Dan Chapman, Clarence, Iowa.
6. (5) 22 Nick Nevins, Lisbon, Iowa.
7. (7) 07 Scott Heeren, Forreston, Ill.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (2) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (4) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
3. (1) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M.
4. (3) 29D Brad Dierks, Clarence, Iowa.
5. (7) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
6. (5) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa.
7. (6) 111 Justin Rix, Olin, Iowa.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (4) 2S Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, 40, $2000.
2. (1) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $1500.
3. (2) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, 40, $1000.
4. (5) 4R Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $900.
5. (8) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustom/Geddes, 40, $800.
6. (6) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo., GRT/Mullins, 40, $700.
7. (9) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/AOS, 40, $650.
8. (12) 29D Brad Dierks, Clarence, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sperry, 40, $600.
9. (11) 22D Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $550.
10. (13) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla., LG2/ProPower, 40, $500.
11. (10) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 40, $450.
12. (18) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa, Rage/Durham, 40, $300.
13. (7) 95 Dylan Smith (R), Osceola, Neb., Jet/Woods, 40, $400.
14. (14) 1 Dan Chapman, Clarence, Iowa, Kazzbuilt/Shrope, 39, $250.
15. (3) 77 Kurt Kile, Nichols, Iowa, GRT/Mullins, 39, $350.
16. (16) 99 RJ Gonzales, Moline, Ill., Pierce/TrackTamer, 39, $250.
17. (15) 77 Joe Beal, Milan, Ill., Skyrocket/VonDresky, 39, $250.
18. (19) 20f John Fellman, Blue Grass, Iowa, Fellman/Motorheads, 38, $250.
19. (20) 111 Justin Rix, Olin, Iowa, GRT/C&L, $250.
20. (17) 22 Nick Nevins, Lisbon, Iowa, Shaw/GRE, 8, $250.
DNS – 07 Scott Heeren, Forreston, Ill., Shaw/ClassOne, 0, $100.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leaders: VanderBeek 1-4, J. Scott 5-28, S. Scott 29-40.
Total Laps Led: J. Scott 24, S. Scott 12, VanderBeek 4.
Margin of Victory: 0.403 second.
Provisional Starters: none.
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: J. Scott.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: Dripps (started 18th, finished 12th).
Next Race: Thursday, May 22, Buena Vista Raceway, Alta, Iowa.
Major League Bowhunter Central Region Points: Sanders 560, VanderBeek 549, S. Scott 523, Siebert 465, Ramirez 459, Smith 448, J. Scott 444, Gallardo 444, Hilsabeck 422, Shryock 336.
Rookie of the Year Points: Gallardo 1558, Adam Penn 1036, Cade Dillard 825, Smith 795, Shane Sprinkle 775.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 187, Sput’s 177, Geddes 148, Mullins 112, AOS 100.
Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 191, MBCustom 180, Ramirez 158, GRT 135, Hughes 109.
American Racer – Dierks.
Beyea Custom Headers – VanderBeek.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – not awarded.
C&R Racing – VanderBeek.
Edelbrock – J. Scott
FK Rod Ends – Kile.
Forty9Designs.com – not awarded.
Fuel Safe – Siebert.
GRT Race Cars – Kile.
Hooker Harness – Smith.
JRi Shocks – S. Scott.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – Hilsabeck.
Keyser Manufacturing – Rowland.
Marsh Racing Wheels – not awarded.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – Dripps.
MSD Ignition – S. Scott, J. Scott.
PBM Performance Products – S. Scott.
Power Lift Racing Products – not awarded.
Real Racing Wheels – not awarded.
Sybesma Graphics – J. Scott.
VP Racing Fuels – S. Scott.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AMP Energy, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear, COMP Cams, Day Motor Sports, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, MSD, Nitroquest Media Group, RACEceiver, RacinDirt.com, Snickers, SpiderWeb Modular Storage Solutions, Swan Energy, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Double H Bands, ElbowsUp.com, Erson Cams, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Major League Bowhunter, Mesilla Valley Transportation, New Vision Graphics, Olympic Fire Protection, Penn Transport, Road Runner Crane, Road Runner Trucking, S&S Fishing & Rental, United Cellular Services.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Bell Racing Helmets, Beyea Custom Headers, Brass Monkey Racing Products, C&R Racing, CPD Racing Tools, Edelbrock, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, JRi Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Power Lift Racing Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Tiger Rear Ends.