ALTA, Iowa—Zack VanderBeek ended his streak of second- and third-place finishes in the USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy, and in doing so also ended Stormy Scott’s streak of four straight wins Thursday night at the Buena Vista Raceway.
VanderBeek started on the pole of the main event and led every lap in scoring his first win of the 2014 campaign and 24th of his United States Modified Touring Series career.
The win was worth $2,000 to the 29-year-old from New Sharon, Iowa.
Scott started the feature race in the fifth spot and clawed his way into second, but the 2012 USMTS Rookie of the Year could not find the muscle to get close to the 2004 USMTS Rookie of the Year.
Sixth-starting Dereck Ramirez was third, Kelly Shryock finished fourth and current USMTS Rookie of the Year points leader Jake Gallardo rounded out the top five at the flagstand.
Johnny Scott, Daniel Hilsabeck, Bryan Rowland, Joey Jensen and Jeremy Houle were sixth through tenth, respectively.
Hilsabeck, who started 13th, garnered his first Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger Award of the year.
Friday will take the series to the Chateau Raceway in Lansing, Minn., for the 7th Annual Mike Guttormson Memorial. USRA B-Mods, WISSOTA Midwest Mods and Chateau Pure Stocks will round out the racing card.
Pit gates open at 5 p.m. and spectator gates open at 5:30. Hot laps begin at 6:30 and the first heat race hits the track at 7 p.m. Adult tickets are $18, kids ages 6-12 get in for $5 and children 5 and under are free.
The Chateau Raceway is a semi-banked one-third-mile gumbo clay oval located 5.0 miles north of Austin on US 218 (Lansing Exit), then 1.3 miles east on CR 2, then 0.4 mile south on CR 25, then 0.3 mile east on 266th St. For more information call 507-391-2486 or check out www.chateauraceway.net online.
On Saturday, the 12th Annual A&A Electric Minnesota Spring Challenge will be staged at the Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minn. The Memorial Day Weekend wraps up Sunday, May 25, at the Upper Iowa Speedway in Decorah, Iowa.
Comprising 12 events in 25 days, the Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region will be a flurry of action with most of the top open wheel dirt modified pilots in the region, and from around the country, tackling some of the most prestigious now-thawed speedplants in America.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy – Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region presented by Day Motor Sports
Buena Vista Raceway, Alta, Iowa
Thursday, May 22, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. All drivers were locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
C&R RACING HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn.
2. (3) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
3. (7) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
4. (4) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
5. (6) 97j Jeff Hoegh, New Caney, Texas.
6. (5) 9x Austin Lucas, Cherokee, Iowa.
7. (2) R21 Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
2. (3) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
3. (1) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn.
4. (5) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
5. (7) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
6. (6) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
7. (4) 1k Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (6) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
3. (3) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
4. (7) IOU1 Brent Larson (R), Lake Elmo, Minn.
5. (4) 54 Jeremy Houle (R), Ham Lake, Minn.
6. (2) 21 Josh Most, Red Oak, Iowa.
7. (5) 44 Marcus Berndt, Katy, Texas.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (1) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, 30, $2000.
2. (5) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, 30, $1500.
3. (6) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/ProPower, 30, $1000.
4. (2) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 30, $900.
5. (4) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/AOS, 30, $800.
6. (11) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/ProPower, 30, $700.
7. (13) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 30, $650.
8. (12) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla., LG2/ProPower, 30, $600.
9. (8) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn., GRT/Tim’s, 30, $550.
10. (15) 54 Jeremy Houle (R), Ham Lake, Minn., MBCustom/Speedwerx, 30, $500.
11. (16) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis., GRT/Butch’s, 30, $450.
12. (3) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, 30, $425.
13. (9) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn., Hughes/Wagamon, 30, $400.
14. (10) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, 29, $375.
15. (18) 1k Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa, Skyrocket/Karl, 29, $350.
16. (17) 21 Josh Most, Red Oak, Iowa, /, 29, $250.
17. (19) 44 Marcus Berndt, Katy, Texas, DirtWorks/AARE, 28, $250.
18. (14) 97j Jeff Hoegh, New Caney, Texas, GRT/AARE, 20, $250.
19. (7) IOU1 Brent Larson (R), Lake Elmo, Minn., Shaw/Tim’s, 12, $300.
DNS – 9x Austin Lucas, Cherokee, Iowa, Harris/, 0, $75.
DNS – R21 Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa, LG2/Mullins, 0, $90.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leader: VanderBeek 1-30.
Total Laps Led: VanderBeek 30.
Margin of Victory: 8.029 seconds.
Provisional Starters: none.
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: A. Arneson.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: Hilsabeck (started 13th, finished 7th).
Next Race: Friday, May 23, Chateau Raceway, Lansing, Minn.
Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region Points: VanderBeek 103, S. Scott 95, Ramirez 91, Shryock 87, Gallardo 84, J. Scott 81, Hilsabeck 78, Rowland 76, Jensen 74, Houle 72.
Rookie of the Year Points: Gallardo 1642, Adam Penn 1036, Cade Dillard 825, Dylan Smith 795, Shane Sprinkle 775.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 196, Sput’s 187, Geddes 148, Mullins 118, AOS 107.
Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 201, MBCustom 185, Ramirez 167, GRT 141, Hughes 116.
American Racer – Hoegh.
Beyea Custom Headers – Houle.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – not awarded.
C&R Racing – Jensen.
Edelbrock – Gallardo.
FK Rod Ends – Graham.
Forty9Designs.com – C. Arneson, Larson.
Fuel Safe – J. Scott
GRT Race Cars – Jensen.
Hooker Harness – Wagamon.
JRi Shocks – Ramirez.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – Jensen.
Keyser Manufacturing – Houle.
Marsh Racing Wheels – not awarded.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – Hilsabeck.
MSD Ignition – VanderBeek, S. Scott.
PBM Performance Products – VanderBeek.
Power Lift Racing Products – not awarded.
Real Racing Wheels – not awarded.
Sybesma Graphics – A. Arneson.
VP Racing Fuels – Shryock.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AMP Energy, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear, COMP Cams, Day Motor Sports, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, MSD, Nitroquest Media Group, RACEceiver, RacinDirt.com, Snickers, SpiderWeb Modular Storage Solutions, Swan Energy, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Double H Bands, ElbowsUp.com, Erson Cams, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Major League Bowhunter, Mesilla Valley Transportation, New Vision Graphics, Olympic Fire Protection, Penn Transport, Road Runner Crane, Road Runner Trucking, S&S Fishing & Rental, United Cellular Services.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Bell Racing Helmets, Beyea Custom Headers, Brass Monkey Racing Products, C&R Racing, CPD Racing Tools, Edelbrock, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, JRi Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Power Lift Racing Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Tiger Rear Ends.