DECORAH, Iowa—Johnny Scott found a way around Kelly Shryock with five laps to go and found his way back to victory lane Sunday night as the USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy put the wraps on a memorable Memorial Day Weekend at the Upper Iowa Speedway.
Shryock, who earned the Sybesma Graphics Pole Award earlier in the program, set sail at the start of the 40-lap main event with Todd Scharkey, Zack VanderBeek and Scott in tow.
VanderBeek got by Scharkey for second on lap 3 and Scott followed into third one lap later as the lead trio took off on a three-car battle that lasted the rest of the race.
Back-to-back cautions with six laps to go slowed the action and Scott went searching on the high side when the field went back to green.
Relegated to the outside line for the restart, the 24-year-old from Las Cruces, N.M., found the top of the track to his liking and he blasted in front of VanderBeek on the restart.
One lap later, Scott powered around the outside of Shryock in turn 4 and took the lead for the first time—and for good—as they completed lap 35.
The win, worth $2,000, was Scott’s first since winning at the Superbowl Speedway in Greenville, Texas, on March 20, and the 25 victory of his United States Modified Touring Series career.
VanderBeek, who has 24 lifelong wins to his credit, followed Scott’s lead and jumped to the outside of Shryock, nipping the nine-time USMTS national champion by a bumper’s length at the flagstand for second place.
Stormy Scott started 13th on the grid and climbed to a fourth-place finish to garner his third straight Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger Award of the weekend.
Dereck Ramirez snagged the fifth spot while Bryan Rowland, Lucas Schott, 17th-starting Josh Angst, Jason Schlangen and Joey Jensen rounded out the top 10.
Next up for the Best of the Best will be a Tuesday, June 3, visit to the Marshalltown Speedway in Marshalltown, Iowa, with the Iron Man Challenge featuring USRA Stock Cars and USRA B-Mods joining the USMTS Modifieds on the high-banked bullring’s racing card.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy – Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region presented by Day Motor Sports
Upper Iowa Speedway, Decorah, Iowa
Sunday, May 25, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. All drivers advanced to the “A” Main with the top 8 in passing points re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
HEAT RACE WINNERS (8 laps):
1. (3) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
2. (5) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn.
3. (2) 4R Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (8) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
5. (4) 22D Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
6. (6) 99 Josh Angst, Winona, Minn.
7. (1) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
8. (7) 29H Joe Horgdal, Kasson, Minn.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 27s Jason Schlangen, Cresco, Iowa.
2. (3) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa.
3. (4) 45 Todd Scharkey, Kasson, Minn.
4. (5) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
5. (8) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
6. (6) 23K Darwin Karau, Kasson, Minn.
7. (7) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn.
8. (1) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (2) IOU1 Brent Larson (R), Lake Elmo, Minn.
2. (4) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
3. (1) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
4. (5) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M.
5. (3) 1K Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa.
6. (7) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn.
7. (6) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (3) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $2000.
2. (6) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, 40, $1500.
3. (2) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 40, $1000.
4. (13) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, 40, $900.
5. (9) 4R Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $800.
6. (11) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla., LG2/ProPower, 40, $700.
7. (8) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn., Hughes/Sput’s, 40, $650.
8. (17) 99 Josh Angst, Winona, Minn., GRT/Sput’s, 40, $600.
9. (5) 27s Jason Schlangen, Cresco, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $450.
10. (16) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn., GRT/Tim’s, 40, $500.
11. (14) 22D Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $450.
12. (10) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis., GRT/Butch’s, 40, $425.
13. (20) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn., Hughes/Wagamon, 40, $400.
14. (7) IOU1 Brent Larson (R), Lake Elmo, Minn., Shaw/Tim’s, 40, $375.
15. (18) 23K Darwin Karau, Kasson, Minn., Killer/Flyin’J, 40, $350.
16. (21) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $300.
17. (15) 1K Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa, Skyrocket/Karl, 40, $300.
18. (22) 29H Joe Horgdal, Kasson, Minn., GRT/Action, 40, $300.
19. (12) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/AOS, 37, $400.
20. (4) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa, Rage/Durham, 32, $300.
21. (1) 45 Todd Scharkey, Kasson, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 32, $250.
22. (23) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, 15, $300.
23. (19) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, 6, $300.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leaders: Shryock 1-35, J. Scott 36-40.
Total Laps Led: Shryock 35, J. Scott 5.
Provisional Starters: none.
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: Shryock.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: S. Scott (started 13th, finished 4th).
Next Race: Tuesday, June 3, Marshalltown Speedway, Marshalltown, Iowa.
Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region Points: VanderBeek 361, S. Scott 353, Ramirez 340, Shryock 330, J. Scott 327, Jensen 303, Hilsabeck 292, Rowland 285, Wagamon 280, Gallardo 245.
Rookie of the Year Points: Gallardo 1703, Adam Penn 1036, Cade Dillard 825, Dylan Smith 795, Shane Sprinkle 775.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 222, Sput’s 208, Geddes 148, Mullins 133, AOS 110.
Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 228, Ramirez 192, MBCustom 188, GRT 166, Hughes 138.
American Racer – Horgdal.
Beyea Custom Headers – Shryock.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – Horgdal.
C&R Racing – Shryock.
Edelbrock – Larson.
FK Rod Ends – Karau.
Forty9Designs.com – Larson, Gallardo.
Fuel Safe – Rowland.
GRT Race Cars – Angst.
Hooker Harness – Wagamon.
JRi Shocks – not awarded.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – not awarded.
Keyser Manufacturing – Jensen.
Marsh Racing Wheels – C. Arneson.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – S. Scott.
MSD Ignition – J. Scott, VanderBeek.
PBM Performance Products – J. Scott.
Power Lift Racing Products – Graham.
Real Racing Wheels – all non-qualifiers.
Sybesma Graphics – Shryock.
VP Racing Fuels – J. Scott.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AMP Energy, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear, COMP Cams, Day Motor Sports, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, MSD, Nitroquest Media Group, RACEceiver, RacinDirt.com, Snickers, SpiderWeb Modular Storage Solutions, Swan Energy, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Double H Bands, ElbowsUp.com, Erson Cams, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Major League Bowhunter, Mesilla Valley Transportation, New Vision Graphics, Olympic Fire Protection, Penn Transport, Road Runner Crane, Road Runner Trucking, S&S Fishing & Rental, United Cellular Services.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Bell Racing Helmets, Beyea Custom Headers, Brass Monkey Racing Products, C&R Racing, CPD Racing Tools, Edelbrock, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, JRi Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Power Lift Racing Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Tiger Rear Ends.