ROCK RAPIDS, Iowa—Zack VanderBeek has been nearly unbeatable by most since the snow melted.
Friday night at the Rapid Speedway in Rock Rapids, Iowa, he was unstoppable in earning his second USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy feature win of the season.
The points leader in the Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region presented by Day Motor Sports upon entering Friday’s clash, Vanderbeek left with an even bigger cushion in the standings after a dominating performance.
After a powerful sixth-to-first run in JRi Shock Heat Race #2, VanderBeek netted the Sybesma Graphics Pole Award and then redrew the outside of the front row for the 40-lap main event.
Once the green flag waved, ‘The Z-Man’ was gone.
Just like Rodney Sanders the night before, the win was the 25th of VanderBeek’s USMTS career and creates a three-way tie on the all-time victories list with Sanders and Johnny Scott—all three one triumph behind Stormy Scott’s 26.
Despite chasing the 2004 USMTS Rookie of the Year for the entire distance, Stormy Scott settled for the runner-up paycheck while Sanders saw his two-race win streak come to an end with a third-place finish.
Joey Jensen was fourth and Jason Krohn finished fifth with Johnny Scott, Kelly Shryock, Clayton Wagamon, Jon Tesch and Daniel Hilsabeck rounding out the top ten.
Less than an hour east from Rock Rapids, the final night of this week’s four-race swing will be Saturday, June 7, and the first-ever show for the United States Modified Touring Series at the I-90 Speedway in Hartford, S.D.
Hot laps begin at 6:30 and racing commences at 7:00. While USRA B-Mods compete every Saturday night along with USRA Hobby Stocks at the high-banked 3/8-mile clay oval, this will be the first Iron Man show at the facility too.
Ticket prices are $17 for adults, $5 for kids ages 7-12 and children 6 and under are admitted free of charge. Pit passes will be $35 each. All I-90 Speedway season passes are good for this event.
Fans can find coupons good for $2 off adult general admission at all Casey’s General Store locations in Brandon, Sioux Falls and Tea. Visit www.caseys.com to find the location nearest you.
The I-90 Speedway is located 12 miles west of Sioux Falls on I-90 to exit 387, then 0.1 mile north, then 2.5 miles west on SR 38 (46052 S Dakota 38, Hartford, SD 57033). For more information call (605) 691-3503 or (605) 528-6379 or visit www.i90speedway.com online.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy – Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region presented by Day Motor Sports
Rapid Speedway, Rock Rapids, Iowa
Friday, June 6, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. The top 16 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races were locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
C&R RACING HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (3) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (4) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn.
3. (5) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
4. (9) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
5. (8) 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa.
6. (7) 1k Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa.
7. (6) 27 Don Gerritsen Jr., Rock Rapids, Iowa.
8. (1) 5 Keegan Nordquist, Beresford, S.D.
9. (2) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (6) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (3) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn.
3. (1) 54 Jeremy Houle (R), Ham Lake, Minn.
4. (4) 24s Mike Stearns, Hecla, S.D.
5. (2) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D.
6. (5) 52w Nate Wasmund, Rochester, Minn.
7. (9) 21 Josh Most, Red Oak, Iowa.
8. (7) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
9. (8) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (3) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn.
2. (1) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
3. (6) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
4. (8) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
5. (5) 26g Bob Gierke, Westport, Minn.
6. (4) 17L Nick Lakes, Sergeant Bluff, Iowa.
7. (7) X Chris Moore (R), Madison, S.D.
8. (2) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN (10 laps, top 6 advance):
1. (1) 52w Nate Wasmund, Rochester, Minn.
2. (3) 21 Josh Most, Red Oak, Iowa.
3. (10) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
4. (4) 27 Don Gerritsen Jr., Rock Rapids, Iowa.
5. (2) 17L Nick Lakes, Sergeant Bluff, Iowa.
6. (6) 5 Keegan Nordquist, Beresford, S.D.
7. (9) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa, BeerBuilt/Mathieson, $75.
8. (5) X Chris Moore (R), Madison, S.D., Fegers/Vetter, $90.
9. (8) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/Cornett, $400.
10. (7) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla., LG2/ProPower, $400.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (2) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, 40, $2000.
2. (5) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, 40, $1500.
3. (6) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustom/Geddes, 40, $1000.
4. (4) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn., GRT/Tim’s, 40, $900.
5. (8) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn., MBCustom/Sput’s, 40, $700.
6. (7) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $700.
7. (1) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 40, $650.
8. (3) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn., Hughes/Wagamon, 40, $600.
9. (14) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D., GRT/Sput’s, 40, $550.
10. (9) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $500.
11. (10) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, 40, $450.
12. (11) 54 Jeremy Houle (R), Ham Lake, Minn., MBCustom/Speedwerx, 40, $425.
13. (18) 21 Josh Most, Red Oak, Iowa, Edge/MidState, 40, $275.
14. (20) 27 Don Gerritsen Jr., Rock Rapids, Iowa, Razor/HarryHeads, 40, $375.
15. (15) 26g Bob Gierke, Westport, Minn., GRT/Tim’s, 40, $350.
16. (19) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, 40, $400.
17. (16) 1k Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa, Skyrocket/Karl, 40, $400.
18. (21) 17L Nick Lakes, Sergeant Bluff, Iowa, 40, $250.
19. (22) 5 Keegan Nordquist, Beresford, S.D., Edge/Nordquist, 40, $250.
20. (13) 24s Mike Stearns, Hecla, S.D., MasterSbilt/Tim’s, 40, $300.
21. (17) 52w Nate Wasmund, Rochester, Minn., GRT/Action, 40, $300.
22. (12) 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa, LG2/Mullins, 40, $300.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leader: VanderBeek 1-40.
Total Laps Led: VanderBeek 40.
Margin of Victory: 2.662 seconds.
Provisional Starters: none.
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: VanderBeek.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: Gerritsen (started 20th, finished 14th).
Next Race: Saturday, June 7, I-90 Speedway, Hartford, S.D.
Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region Points: VanderBeek 651, S. Scott 627, J. Scott 580, Shryock 579, Ramirez 532, Jensen 528, Hilsabeck 518, Wagamon 486, Rowland 478, A. Arneson 401.
Rookie of the Year Points: Jake Gallardo 1703, Adam Penn 1036, Cade Dillard 825, Dylan Smith 795, Shane Sprinkle 775.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 248, Sput’s 235, Geddes 176, Mullins 149, AOS 110.
Tiger Quick Change Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 255, MBCustom 217, Ramirez 214, GRT 181, Hughes 154.
American Racer – Stearns.
Beyea Custom Headers – Wasmund.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – not awarded.
C&R Racing – J. Scott.
Edelbrock – Wagamon.
FK Rod Ends – Gierke.
Forty9Designs.com – Gerritsen.
Fuel Safe – J. Scott.
GRT Race Cars – Jensen.
Hooker Harness – not awarded.
JRi Shocks – VanderBeek.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – Tesch.
Keyser Manufacturing – Hilsabeck.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Wasmund.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – Gerritsen.
MSD Ignition – VanderBeek, S. Scott.
PBM Performance Products – VanderBeek.
Power Lift Racing Products – Graham.
Real Racing Wheels – all non-qualifiers.
Sybesma Graphics – VanderBeek.
VP Racing Fuels – Jensen.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AMP Energy, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear, COMP Cams, Day Motor Sports, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, MSD, Nitroquest Media Group, RACEceiver, RacinDirt.com, Snickers, SpiderWeb Modular Storage Solutions, Swan Energy, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Double H Bands, ElbowsUp.com, Erson Cams, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Major League Bowhunter, Mesilla Valley Transportation, New Vision Graphics, Olympic Fire Protection, Penn Transport, Road Runner Crane, Road Runner Trucking, S&S Fishing & Rental, United Cellular Services.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Bell Racing Helmets, Beyea Custom Headers, Brass Monkey Racing Products, C&R Racing, CPD Racing Tools, Edelbrock, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, JRi Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Power Lift Racing Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Tiger Rear Ends.