GREENWOOD, Neb.—Rodney Sanders captured his fifth straight USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy main event Friday on opening night of the 4th Annual Silver Dollar Nationals at the I-80 Speedway.
Sanders, who swept both nights of last year’s crown jewel event at the Kosiski family’s 4/10-mile speedplant, struggled out of the gate but was back in dominant form late in Friday’s $3,000-to-win 35-lapper.
Polesitter Jordan Grabouski took control at the start of the race with teammate and car owner Terry Phillips following in his tire tracks.
Meanwhile, Sanders fell back three spots to eleventh in the first two laps.
Phillips snagged the lead away from Grabouski on the third lap, and then proceeded to pull away to about a ten-car-length lead over the next 15 laps.
Ironically, the race’s first caution on lap 19 for Grabouski’s spin on the front stretch changed everything.
The restart saw Phillips return to his mid- to high-line around the track, second-running Dylan Smith tried to use the low side to sneak by Phillips.
However, after clawing his way back to the front of the field, Sanders made his presence known and beat Smith to the next corner to take away the low line.
Two laps later, Sanders beat Phillips to the start-finish line and it became a race for second place from that point forward.
While Sanders sailed away for a 4.398-second victory, the action behind him remained tense for the final 14 laps.
Smith matched his career-best United States Modified Touring Series finish as he got around Phillips for the runner-up spot with ninth-starting Stormy Scott coming home second and Jason Hughes, who won the USMTS ‘Hunt’ race here last fall, rounded out the top five finishers.
Zack VanderBeek, Trevor Hunt, Kelly Shryock, Thomas Tillison Jr. and Jeremy Rasmussen completed the top 10 at the finish line.
With his 14th win of the season and 32nd of his USMTS career, Sanders extended his points lead over VanderBeek in the points standings of the Major League Bowhunter Central Region presented by Day Motor Sports.
When Sanders takes the green flag in his heat race Saturday night, he will clinch the regional title and the $5,000 prize that accompanies it.
Dylan Smith, Stormy Scott, Daniel Hilsabeck, Dereck Ramirez, Kelly Shryock, Johnny Scott, Austin Siebert and Joe Duvall fill the other eight spots in the points heading into Saturday’s regional point finale.
Action returns to the I-80 Speedway in Greenwood, Neb., on Saturday, July 19, for the second night of the 4th Annual Silver Dollar Nationals where the USMTS Modifieds will once again share the spotlight with the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series.
Once again, the USMTS will be running a complete show Saturday night, culminating with the crowning of the Major League Bowhunter Central Region champion and the last group of drivers to qualify for this year’s USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s National Championship.
Saturday’s feature race winner will pocket a cool $4,000.
The I-80 Speedway is located one block north of I-80 at exit 420, about halfway between Lincoln and Omaha, Neb. The physical address is 13909 238th St., Greenwood, Neb. For more information, visit www.I-80Speedway.com or call 402-342-3453. You can also stay up to speed on Facebook and Twitter.
The month of July wraps up Thursday, Friday and Saturday, July 24-26, as the USMTS joins forces with the United States Racing Association (USRA) for the 4th Annual World Modified Dirt Track Championship at the Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minn., with no less than $17,000 going to the winner of Saturday’s 100-lap main event.
From there, the USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s National Championship powered by Swan Energy begins on Friday, Aug. 1, at the Batesville Motor Speedway near Locust Grove, Ark.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy – Major League Bowhunter Central Region presented by Day Motor Sports
4th Annual Silver Dollar Nationals – Night 1 of 2
I-80 Speedway, Greenwood, Neb.
Friday, July 18, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. The top 12 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races were locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
C&R RACING HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (4) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
2. (2) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
3. (6) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
4. (8) 99h Trevor Hunt, Kearney, Mo.
5. (5) 5* Casey Penn, Shreveport, La.
6. (9) 1* Adam Penn (R), Shreveport, La.
7. (7) 31j Jeremy Rasmussen, Bella Vista, Ark.
8. (3) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
9. (1) 72 Mike Lineberry, Waterloo, Neb.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
2. (1) 22b Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan.
3. (7) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr., Wellston, Okla.
4. (3) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
5. (4) 89 Josh Most (R), Red Oak, Iowa.
6. (8) 1s Scott Carlson, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
7. (5) 99 Martin Bennett, Ankeny, Iowa.
8. (6) B42 Kevin Betzen, David City, Neb.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
2. (6) 95 Dylan Smith (R), Osceola, Neb.
3. (4) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan.
4. (7) 87 Darron Fuqua (R), Mayetta, Kan.
5. (2) R21 Farrel Skelton, Tom Bean, Texas.
6. (3) 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa.
7. (5) 2 Grant Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
8. (8) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa.
PBM PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (1) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
2. (3) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
3. (8) 75g Jordan Grabouski, Beatrice, Neb.
4. (7) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan.
5. (6) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
6. (5) 70 Jesse Dennis, Prescott, Iowa.
7. (2) 80x Terry Berg Jr., South Sioux City, Neb.
8. (4) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #1 (12 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (3) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
2. (4) 5* Casey Penn, Shreveport, La.
3. (1) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan.
4. (7) 31j Jeremy Rasmussen, Bella Vista, Ark.
5. (2) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan.
6. (5) R21 Farrel Skelton, Tom Bean, Texas, IROC/Midstate, $75.
7. (9) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
8. (8) 2 Grant Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., FastMaster/Sput’s, $90.
9. (6) 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa.
10. (11) 72 Mike Lineberry, Waterloo, Neb.
11. (10) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa, BeerBuilt/Mathieson, $75.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #2 (12 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (2) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (1) 87 Darron Fuqua (R), Mayetta, Kan.
3. (3) 1* Adam Penn (R), Shreveport, La.
4. (4) 89 Josh Most (R), Red Oak, Iowa.
5. (5) 1s Scott Carlson, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
6. (6) 70 Jesse Dennis, Prescott, Iowa, Skyrocket/Midstate, $75.
7. (7) 99 Martin Bennett, Ankeny, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, $90.
8. (10) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo., GRT/Mullins, $90.
9. (8) 80x Terry Berg Jr, South Sioux City, Neb., BeerBuilt/Berg, $75.
10. (9) B42 Kevin Betzen, David City, Neb., Panther/Jacobs, $75.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (35 laps):
1. (8) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustom/Geddes, 35, $3000.
2. (6) 95 Dylan Smith (R), Osceola, Neb., Jet/Woods, 35, $1700.
3. (3) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Hatfield, 35, $1200.
4. (9) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, 35, $1000.
5. (5) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 35, $900.
6. (4) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, 35, $800.
7. (12) 99h Trevor Hunt, Kearney, Mo., GRT/Spanel, 35, $700.
8. (7) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 35, $650.
9. (2) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr., Wellston, Okla., Hughes/Geddes, 35, $600.
10. (19) 31j Jeremy Rasmussen, Bella Vista, Ark., TRE/Donrich, 35, $450.
11. (14) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/Cornett, 35, $500.
12. (17) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan., GRT/Hatfield, 35, $450.
13. (10) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/Cornett, 35, $425.
14. (18) 1* Adam Penn (R), Shreveport, La., Hughes/Mullins, 35, $400.
15. (13) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustom/Mullins, 35, $400.
16. (23) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 35, $400.
17. (21) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan., Hughes/Driskell, 35, $325.
18. (25) 72 Mike Lineberry, Waterloo, Neb., Harris/Roberts, 35, $250.
19. (20) 89 Josh Most (R), Red Oak, Iowa, Edge/RHR, 35, $300.
20. (15) 5* Casey Penn, Shreveport, La., Hughes/Mullins, 35, $300.
21. (1) 75g Jordan Grabouski, Beatrice, Neb., GRT/Hatfield, 35, $300.
22. (16) 87 Darron Fuqua (R), Mayetta, Kan., Venom/Driskell, 35, $300.
23. (11) 22b Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan., MBCustom/Mullins, 35, $300.
24. (24) 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa, LG2/Mullins, 35, $300.
25. (22) 1s Scott Carlson, Council Bluffs, Iowa, BMS/DW, 35, $250.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leaders: Grabouski 1-2, Phillips 3-20, Sanders 21-35.
Total Laps Led: Phillips 18, Sanders 15, Grabouski 2.
Margin of Victory: 4.398 seconds.
Provisional Starters: Hilsabeck, Schaffer, Lineberry (track).
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: Phillips.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: Rasmussen (started 19th, finished 10th).
Next Race: Saturday, July 19, I-80 Speedway, Greenwood, Neb.
Major League Bowhunter Central Region Points: Sanders 1064, VanderBeek 1009, Smith 870, S. Scott 838, Hilsabeck 746, Ramirez 739, Shryock 737, J. Scott 688, Siebert 687, Duvall 629.
Rookie of the Year Points: Jake Gallardo 1736, A. Penn 1362, Smith 1217, Cade Dillard 1188, Shane Sprinkle 874.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 331, Sput’s 315, Geddes 285, Mullins 214, ASI 154.
Tiger Quick Change Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 361, MBCustom 336, Ramirez 286, GRT 269, Hughes 229.
American Racer – Skelton.
Beyea Custom Headers – Fuqua.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – not awarded.
C&R Racing – Phillips.
Edelbrock – Hughes.
FK Rod Ends – Duvall.
Forty9Designs.com – A. Penn, Most.
Fuel Safe – VanderBeek.
GRT Race Cars – Grabouski.
Hooker Harness – Ramirez.
JRi Shocks – Shryock.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – Tillison.
Keyser Manufacturing – not awarded.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Schaffer.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – not awarded.
MSD Ignition – Sanders, Phillips.
PBM Performance Products – Sanders.
Power Lift Racing Products – Town.
Real Racing Wheels – all non-qualifiers.
Sybesma Graphics – Phillips.
VP Racing Fuels – Sanders.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AMP Energy, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear, COMP Cams, Day Motor Sports, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, MSD, Nitroquest Media Group, RACEceiver, RacinDirt.com, Snickers, SpiderWeb Modular Storage Solutions, Swan Energy, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Double H Bands, ElbowsUp.com, Erson Cams, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Major League Bowhunter, Mesilla Valley Transportation, New Vision Graphics, Olympic Fire Protection, Penn Transport, Road Runner Crane, Road Runner Trucking, S&S Fishing & Rental, United Cellular Services.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Bell Racing Helmets, Beyea Custom Headers, Brass Monkey Racing Products, C&R Racing, CPD Racing Tools, Edelbrock, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, JRi Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Power Lift Racing Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Tiger Rear Ends.