WATERTOWN, S.D. – What a difference a day makes.
After starting on the front row Wednesday night at the Red River Valley Speedway, a broken shock early in the race sent Zack VanderBeek sliding backwards to a ninth-place finish by the end of the main event.
The “Z-Man” made a 180-degree turn Thursday night and climbed from 10th on the starting grid to win the 40-lap feature race as the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour made their sixth annual trek to the Casino Speedway in Watertown, S.D., for the Team Electronics Summer Slam.
Ken Schrader, who captured the win on Wednesday, jumped into the lead from the outside of the front row in Thursday night’s WIX Filters “A” Main. Polesitter Corey Dripps and multi-time track champion Kent Arment challenged the NASCAR veteran in the early stages of the contest, but Schrader was able to thwart their efforts each time around the tight quarter-mile bullring.
While Schrader chewed away at the thin cushion at the top of the racing surface, VanderBeek continued to move forward by hugging the low line in his #33z Victory Junction Skyrocket and took the second spot away from Arment on lap 18.
For the next five laps, Schrader and VanderBeek raced side by side before VanderBeek finally edged ahead to lead the 23rd circuit. Schrader kept the 25-year-old in his sights for the remainder of the race, but had to settle for the runner-up paycheck as VanderBeek streaked beneath the checkered flags to take the $2,000 top prize back home to New Sharon, Iowa.
VanderBeek notched a victory in April during a USMTS Castle Rock Recruiting Southern Series event in Oklahoma, but Thursday’s triumph was the first in the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour for the 2004 DandyLand Farms Rookie of the Year.
Ryan Gustin finished behind Schrader for the second time in as many days with his third-place showing while Texan Rodney Sanders rocketed to a fourth-place finish ahead of Dripps and rookie Jason Grimes, who came from 12th to snag sixth.
Although VanderBeek earned the PBM Performance Hard Charger Award, the race’s most prolific passer was Al Hejna. The defending event champion started 13th but was turned around on the second lap to being out the race’s first caution. After tagging the rear of the 24-car field, the “A-Train” was all the way back up to 10th by the 15th lap and wound up seventh at the finish line.
Chase Junghans finished eighth, nine-time USMTS National Champion Kelly Shryock was ninth and hometown crowd favorite Jon Tesch rebounded from a flat tire on the fourth lap to round out the top-10 finishers.
AFCO Pole Award winner and multi-time Casino Speedway track champ Kent Arment was running fourth with 11 laps to go when his engine expired and forced him out of the race.
The USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour ventures into unchartered territory as they make their debut at Arment’s hometown track – the Brown County Speedway in Aberdeen, S.D., on Friday.
Mike Stearns is the track’s points leader and heads the list of local favorites to conquer Friday’s $2,000-to-win WIX Filters “A” Main. Other track regulars such as Todd Stark, Duane Zabel, Scott Bender, Tracy Voightman, Corey Seckerson, Robert Schmitt and Jordan Foster are also on the expected entry list.
Grandstand gates will open at 5:30 p.m., hot laps start at 7 and the first heat race is scheduled to hit the track at 7:30. Midwest Mods and Pure Stocks will also be in action.
Race fans can pick up $2-off discount coupons on race day at the Casey’s General Store location in Aberdeen. For more information or to find the location nearest you, check out www.caseys.com online.
The Brown County Speedway is a 1/3-mile high-banked clay oval located on the east edge of Aberdeen on US 12, then 1.9 miles north on CR 19 (at the Brown County Fairgrounds). For more information, call 605-725-8887 or check them out at www.bcspeedway.com on the World Wide Web.
On Saturday, the series makes its first trek to the Jamestown (N.D.) Speedway since the 2005 season to wrap up the five-day “modFURY.com Chaos in the Dakotas.” The tireless touring titans invade the Nobles County Speedway in Worthington, Minn., on Sunday to wrap up six straight days of racing.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also follow the USMTS on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and YouTube.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour – Dart Great Plains Region presented by Allstar Performance
6th Annual Team Electronics Summer Slam
Casino Speedway, Watertown, S.D.
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed, reason out (if any) and money won. The top 12 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races are locked into the WIX Filters “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
ISKY RACING CAMS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
2. (4) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D.
3. (3) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
4. (5) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa.
5. (2) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
6. (8) 13 Ryan Engels (R), Arlington, S.D.
7. (6) 10x Jay Triplett, Brookings, S.D.
8. (7) 48 Chad Williamson, Watertown, S.D.
NEW VISION GRAPHICS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
2. (1) 20 Jordan Foster, Henry, S.D.
3. (7) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa.
4. (3) 37 Scott Ward, Watertown, S.D.
5. (4) 24s Mike Stearns (R), Hecla, S.D.
6. (5) 55 David Orr, Bristol, S.D.
7. (6) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa.
SCHOENFELD HEADERS HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (4) 9 Kent Arment, Aberdeen, S.D.
2. (2) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
3. (3) 91 Curt Myers (R), Cameron, Wis.
4. (5) 12h Mike Hansen, Alton, Iowa.
5. (7) 3 Arne Anderson, Watertown, S.D.
6. (1) 31 Scott Hansen, Garden City, S.D.
7. (6) 5 John Corell, Jamestown, N.D.
EIBACH SPRINGS HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (2) 9 Ken Schrader, Concord, N.C.
2. (3) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
3. (1) 99 Jason Grimes (R), Jamestown, N.D.
4. (4) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn.
5. (6) 33 Todd Stark, Watertown, S.D.
6. (5) 30 D.J. Tesch, Clear Lake, S.D.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #1 (12 laps, top 6 advance):
1. (1) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa.
2. (4) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
3. (2) 37 Scott Ward, Watertown, S.D.
4. (3) 3 Arne Anderson, Watertown, S.D.
5. (5) 31 Scott Hansen, Garden City, S.D.
6. (7) 5 John Corell, Jamestown, N.D.
7. (6) 10x Jay Triplett, Brookings, S.D., $75.
DNS – 13 Ryan Engels (R), Arlington, S.D., $90.
DNS – 48 Chad Williamson, Watertown, S.D., $75.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #2 (12 laps, top 6 advance):
1. (2) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn.
2. (1) 12h Mike Hansen, Alton, Iowa.
3. (4) 24s Mike Stearns (R), Hecla, S.D.
4. (3) 33 Todd Stark, Watertown, S.D.
5. (5) 55 David Orr, Bristol, S.D.
6. (7) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa.
7. (6) 30 D.J. Tesch, Clear Lake, S.D., $75.
WIX FILTERS “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (10) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $2000.
2. (2) 9 Ken Schrader, Concord, N.C., Impressive/Dickens, 40, $1500.
3. (5) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $1000.
4. (9) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, Hughes/ASI, 40, $900.
5. (1) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa, BC/AEM, 40, $800.
6. (12) 99 Jason Grimes (R), Jamestown, N.D., Hughes/Dakota, 40, $700.
7. (13) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa, Harris/JR, 40, $650.
8. (3) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., Hughes/Sput’s, 40, $700.
9. (6) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 40, $550.
10. (7) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D., Ramirez/Sput’s, 40, $500.
11. (16) 12h Mike Hansen, Alton, Iowa, GRT/PerfOnly, 40, $450.
12. (14) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $425.
13. (15) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $400.
14. (18) 24s Mike Stearns (R), Hecla, S.D., Fegers/Schwarting’s, 40, $375.
15. (23) 5 John Corell, Jamestown, N.D., Shaw/Dakota, 40, $250.
16. (8) 20 Jordan Foster, Henry, S.D., Ramirez/Sput’s, 40, $250.
17. (17) 37 Scott Ward, Watertown, S.D., Arrow/Tesar, 40, $300.
18. (11) 91 Curt Myers (R), Cameron, Wis., Hughes/Mullins, 39, $300.
19. (20) 33 Todd Stark, Watertown, S.D., J-Car/Weseman, 39, $250.
20. (21) 31 Scott Hansen, Garden City, S.D., J-Car/Sput’s, 39, $250.
21. (22) 55 David Orr, Bristol, S.D., J-Car/Sturdy, 39, $250.
22. (24) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa, BeerBuilt/Mathieson, 38, $400.
23. (4) 9 Kent Arment, Aberdeen, S.D., Arrow/Sturdy, 29, engine, $250.
24. (19) 3 Arne Anderson, Watertown, S.D., Arrow/Sturdy, 11, flat tire, $250.
(R) = DandyLand Farms Rookie of the Year contender.
WIX Filters Lap Leaders: Schrader 1-22, VanderBeek 23-40.
Total Laps Led: Schrader 22, VanderBeek 18.
Margin of Victory: 1.488 seconds.
AFCO Pole Winner: Arment.
PBM Performance Products Hard Charger: VanderBeek (started 10th, finished 1st).
Ruter Farms Long Tow: Junghans (472.44 miles).
Next Race: Friday, July 30, Brown Count Speedway, Aberdeen, S.D.
Dart Great Plains Region Points: Gustin 518, VanderBeek 454, J. Tesch 446, Steensma 365, M. Hansen 353, Ramirez 345, Shryock 329, Junghans 290, Mathieson 263, Grimes 260.
DandyLand Farms Rookie of the Year Points: Johnny Scott 1283, Nick Deal 650, Lucas Schott 396, Ryan Peckham 373, Mark Elliott 355.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 241, Sput’s 235, ASI 172, AEM 94, KSE 89.
Chassis Builders Championship Points: Hughes 240, Skyrocket 231, GRT 180, Ramirez 164, TRE 94.
Ai-Racing – Shryock.
American Racer – Hejna.
Belleville Motor Sports – Dripps, J. Tesch.
Dart Machinery – Steensma.
Eibach Springs – not awarded.
Forty9Designs.com – Sanders, Shryock.
Hooker Harness – Ramirez.
Isky Racing Cams – Shryock.
KSE Racing Products – not awarded.
Marsh Racing Wheels – not awarded.
Out-Pace Racing Products – M. Hansen.
PBM Performance Products – VanderBeek.
Quarter Master – VanderBeek, Junghans.
QuickTime – Hejna.
Real Racing Wheels – Mathieson.
Schoenfeld Headers – not awarded.
WIX Filters – VanderBeek.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS TITLE SPONSORS: Casey’s General Stores, Castle Rock Recruiting.
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AwesomeRacesuits.com, GoPro, Intercomp, Karl Chevrolet, Kevko Oil Pans & Components, New Vision Graphics, Nitroquest, RACEceiver.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Allstar Performance, Arnold Motor Supply, ASi Racewear, Bad Boy Mowers, Bear Tire, Big Dog Chassis & Fabrication, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Cagle Motorsports, Centex Motorsports, DandyLand Farms, Day Motor Sports, Dirt Track Racing School, Dirthead.com, DirtKnights.com, Falcon Wind Power, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Gressel Oil Field Service, Intensitee Custom Racewear, Just Say Yes, Karl Performance Parts, Olympic Fire Protection, Ramirez Race Cars, Ruter Farms, WIX Filters, Yeager Machine.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Ai-Racing, Belleville Motorsports, ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems, COMP Cams, Dart Machinery, Dynatech Racing Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, Forty9Designs.com, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, Hypercoil Springs, Isky Racing Cams, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, Out-Pace Racing Products, PBM Performance Products, Quarter Master, QuickTime Inc, Real Racing Wheels, RHS – Racing Head Service, Schoenfeld Headers, US Brake, Willy’s Carburetor & Dyno Shop, WIX Filters.