ABERDEEN, S.D. – The Brown County Speedway in Aberdeen, S.D., hosted the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour for the first time Friday night, and the daring dirt-churning drivers did not disappoint the fans that jam-packed the grandstand to witness the inaugural event.
The crowd went wild and vocalized their approval when Jon Tesch of nearby Watertown, S.D., drew the pole position for the WIX Filters “A” Main and he made the best of his prime starting spot by leading the first 11 laps around the high-banked 1/3-mile dirt oval.
The race didn’t start off as fruitful for Rodney Sanders of Happy, Texas, as his fourth-place starting spot evaporated in the first turn when he slid off the embankment and was forced to tag the rear of the 24-car field for the complete restart.
Three consecutive cautions with four laps down also slowed the pace in the early stages of the contest, but the yellow flag waved just one more time in the final 36 laps.
Ryan Gustin followed Tesch’s line around the bottom of the racing surface and quickly moved into the second spot while Jason Hughes followed closely in third by using the extreme high side of the racetrack.
With the leaders struggling with lapped traffic, Hughes shot past both drivers to take the lead on lap 12. Gustin followed Hughes around Tesch the next time around, and then wrestled the lead away as they completed the 17th lap.
Tesch worked underneath Hughes two laps later and the two ran door to door down the back-stretch as they followed closely behind Gustin.
Action was slowed on lap 24 when Hughes slammed into the back of Chase Junghans’ machine as Junghans was forced to slow quickly to avoid Mike Steensma, who was exiting the racetrack. The result of the melee was Hughes leaving the race on the back of a wrecker.
When the race resumed, Gustin continued to hug the low line while Tesch moved to the top of the track. Meanwhile, Zack VanderBeek had his Victory Junction mount up to third, with Corey Dripps, Jason Krohn and Sanders running fourth, fifth and sixth.
Once he found a rhythm, Tesch quickly closed the gap between himself and Gustin and blew past the 19-year-old from Marshalltown, Iowa, with 10 laps to go. Five laps later, a lapped car impeded Tesch’s progress and Gustin regained command.
Tesch slid over the embankment in turn 1 and drifted back to third behind VanderBeek before regaining control of his Modified. From there, Gustin cruised to the checkered flag to pocket the $2,000 top prize and his 10th USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour victory of the season.
It was also his fourth win in the Dart Great Plains Region presented by Allstar Performance, with second- and third-place finishes his other two results in six shows.
VanderBeek finished second in the main event, but made up no points in the regional points race where he trails Gustin. Tesch, who is third in the rankings, held on for a third-place paycheck with Dripps finishing fourth and Sanders roaring back to grab fifth after his first-lap miscue.
Sixth through tenth, respectively, went to Krohn, Kelly Shryock, Dereck Ramirez, Ryan Ruter and Aberdeen driver Kent Arment.
On Saturday, the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour makes its fourth stop at the Jamestown Speedway in Jamestown, N.D., but this will be the first trek to Don Gumke’s popular bullring since the 2005 season.
Shryock captured the first two events at Jamestown in 2003 and 2004 en route to his fifth and sixth USMTS titles, while Hughes was the winner in 2005.
Grandstands open at 5 p.m., hot laps are at 6:30 and the green flag unfurls at 7 p.m. Bombers, Road Hogs and WISSOTA Midwest Mods will also be on the racing card for the fourth annual event presented by 103.1 The Raven.
For the kids, each night at the Jamestown Speedway there is the County Market candy toss with junior trophy presenters. As if that wasn’t enough, Ken Schrader will be in attendance for his third stint in five days with the USMTS Modifieds.
John Corell, Jason Grimes, Blake Jegtvig, Jerry Lamb, Corey Seckerson, Bob Sagen, Mark Trautner, Randy Tarno, John Nord and Dustin Strand are just a few of the local drivers that race fans can expect to see defending their home turf.
The Jamestown Speedway is a 1/4-mile high-banked dirt oval located 4.5 miles north of I-94 (exit 258) on US 281, then 0.8 mile east on 27th St., then south (at the Stutsman County Fairgrounds). For more information, call 605-8320-7749 or visit www.jamestownspeedway.com online. Race day info is available by calling 701-251-2897.
The tireless touring titans invade the Nobles County Speedway in Worthington, Minn., on Sunday to wrap up six straight days of racing. Joining the USMTS Modifieds at Worthington will be the Dart Iron Man Challenge for USRA Stock Cars racing for a $2,000 top prize of their own.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also follow the USMTS on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and YouTube.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour – Dart Great Plains Region presented by Allstar Performance
Brown County Speedway, Aberdeen, S.D.
Friday, July 30, 2010
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed, reason out (if any) and money won. The top 12 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races are locked into the WIX Filters “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
ISKY RACING CAMS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (4) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa.
2. (6) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
3. (1) 20 Jordan Foster, Henry, S.D.
4. (8) 6t Corky Thomas, Fargo, N.D.
5. (7) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
6. (5) 91 Curt Myers (R), Cameron, Wis.
7. (3) 1 Travis Cantwell, Watertown, S.D.
8. (2) 12h Mike Hansen, Alton, Iowa.
9. (9) 5 John Corell, Jamestown, N.D.
NEW VISION GRAPHICS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (5) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D.
3. (7) 555 Ryan Ruter, Kanawha, Iowa.
4. (3) 99 Jason Grimes (R), Jamestown, N.D.
5. (6) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa.
6. (8) 9 Kent Arment, Aberdeen, S.D.
7. (4) 96 Dennis Haven, Brentford, S.D.
8. (1) 21 Scott Bender, Aberdeen, S.D.
SCHOENFELD HEADERS HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (4) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
2. (7) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
3. (1) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn.
4. (3) 37 Scott Ward, Watertown, S.D.
5. (5) 48 Chad Williamson, Watertown, S.D.
6. (2) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa.
7. (8) 23 Terry Haven, Britton, S.D.
8. (6) 24s Mike Stearns (R), Hecla, S.D.
EIBACH SPRINGS HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (2) 12 Jason Hughes, Westville, Okla.
2. (3) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn.
3. (7) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (4) 2j Blake Jegtvig (R), Hawley, Minn.
5. (1) 3z Duane Zabel, Selby, S.D.
6. (6) 24 Derek Hanson, Britton, S.D.
7. (8) 64 Russ Beadle, Mina, S.D.
8. (5) 1 Tim Thomas, West Fargo, N.D.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #1 (12 laps, top 6 advance):
1. (1) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn.
2. (3) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
3. (5) 9 Kent Arment, Aberdeen, S.D.
4. (10) 24s Mike Stearns (R), Hecla, S.D.
5. (9) 12h Mike Hansen, Alton, Iowa.
6. (4) 48 Chad Williamson, Watertown, S.D.
7. (7) 23 Terry Haven, Britton, S.D., $75.
8. (6) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa, $400.
9. (2) 37 Scott Ward, Watertown, S.D., $90.
10. (8) 1 Travis Cantwell, Watertown, S.D., $75.
11. (11) 5 John Corell, Jamestown, N.D., $75.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #2 (12 laps, top 6 advance):
1. (2) 2j Blake Jegtvig (R), Hawley, Minn.
2. (3) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa.
3. (4) 3z Duane Zabel, Selby, S.D.
4. (9) 21 Scott Bender, Aberdeen, S.D.
5. (6) 24 Derek Hanson, Britton, S.D.
6. (8) 96 Dennis Haven, Brentford, S.D.
7. (1) 99 Jason Grimes (R), Jamestown, N.D., $90.
8. (7) 64 Russ Beadle, Mina, S.D., $75.
9. (5) 91 Curt Myers (R), Cameron, Wis., $90.
10. (10) 1 Tim Thomas, West Fargo, N.D., $75.
WIX FILTERS “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (6) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $2000.
2. (7) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $1600.
3. (1) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D., Ramirez/Sput’s, 40, $1000.
4. (2) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa, BC/AEM, 40, $900.
5. (4) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, Hughes/PPE, 40, $800.
6. (13) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $700.
7. (3) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 40, $650.
8. (9) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $600.
9. (8) 555 Ryan Ruter, Kanawha, Iowa, Sidebiter/KSE, 40, $550.
10. (17) 9 Kent Arment, Aberdeen, S.D., Arrow/Sturdy, 40, $500.
11. (14) 2j Blake Jegtvig (R), Hawley, Minn., Shaw/Mullins, 40, $450.
12. (18) 3z Duane Zabel, Selby, S.D., Shaw/Gunslinger, 39, $300.
13. (15) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., Hughes/Sput’s, 39, $400.
14. (19) 24s Mike Stearns (R), Hecla, S.D., Fegers/Schwarting’s, 39, $375.
15. (20) 21 Scott Bender, Aberdeen, S.D., Taylor/Hanley, 39, $250.
16. (24) 96 Dennis Haven, Brentford, S.D., Arrow/Ryan, 38, $250.
17. (16) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa, Harris/JR, 33, $300.
18. (5) 12 Jason Hughes, Westville, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 24, $300.
19. (10) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 24, $400.
20. (23) 48 Chad Williamson, Watertown, S.D., Shaw/CNC, 4, $250.
21. (12) 20 Jordan Foster, Henry, S.D., Ramirez/Sput’s, 4, $250.
22. (22) 24 Derek Hanson, Britton, S.D., TBD/TBD, 4, $250.
23. (11) 6t Corky Thomas, Fargo, N.D., Shaw/Mullins, 3, $250.
24. (21) 12h Mike Hansen, Alton, Iowa, GRT/PerfOnly, 2, $400.
(R) = DandyLand Farms Rookie of the Year contender.
WIX Filters Lap Leaders: Tesch 1-11, Hughes 12-16, Gustin 17-29, Tesch 30-34, Gustin 35-40.
Total Laps Led: Gustin 19, Tesch 16, Hughes 5.
Margin of Victory: 3.339 seconds.
AFCO Pole Winner: Dripps.
PBM Performance Products Hard Charger: Haven (started 24th, finished 16th).
Ruter Farms Long Tow: VanderBeek (562.7 miles).
Next Race: Saturday, July 31, Jamestown Speedway, Jamestown, N.D.
Dart Great Plains Region Points: Gustin 626, VanderBeek 554, Tesch 538, Ramirez 422, Steensma 420, Shryock 407, Hansen 403, Junghans 358, Mathieson 308, Krohn 305, Grimes 305.
DandyLand Farms Rookie of the Year Points: Johnny Scott 1283, Nick Deal 650, Lucas Schott 396, Grimes 384, Ryan Peckham 373.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 251, Sput’s 244, ASI 178, AEM 102, KSE 97.
Chassis Builders Championship Points: Hughes 250, Skyrocket 240, GRT 182, Ramirez 172, BC 95.
Ai-Racing – Ruter.
American Racer – Steensma.
Belleville Motor Sports – Sanders.
Dart Machinery – not awarded.
Eibach Springs – Hughes.
Forty9Designs.com – Dripps, Ruter.
Hooker Harness – Junghans.
Isky Racing Cams – Dripps.
KSE Racing Products – Ruter.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Hansen.
Out-Pace Racing Products – Jegtvig.
PBM Performance Products – not awarded.
Quarter Master – Gustin, Ramirez.
QuickTime – Shryock.
Real Racing Wheels – not awarded.
Schoenfeld Headers – Gustin.
WIX Filters – Gustin.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS TITLE SPONSORS: Casey’s General Stores, Castle Rock Recruiting.
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AwesomeRacesuits.com, GoPro, Intercomp, Karl Chevrolet, Kevko Oil Pans & Components, New Vision Graphics, Nitroquest, RACEceiver.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Allstar Performance, Arnold Motor Supply, ASi Racewear, Bad Boy Mowers, Bear Tire, Big Dog Chassis & Fabrication, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Cagle Motorsports, Centex Motorsports, DandyLand Farms, Day Motor Sports, Dirt Track Racing School, Dirthead.com, DirtKnights.com, Falcon Wind Power, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Gressel Oil Field Service, Intensitee Custom Racewear, Just Say Yes, Karl Performance Parts, Olympic Fire Protection, Ramirez Race Cars, Ruter Farms, WIX Filters, Yeager Machine.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Ai-Racing, Belleville Motorsports, ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems, COMP Cams, Dart Machinery, Dynatech Racing Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, Forty9Designs.com, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, Hypercoil Springs, Isky Racing Cams, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, Out-Pace Racing Products, PBM Performance Products, Quarter Master, QuickTime Inc, Real Racing Wheels, RHS – Racing Head Service, Schoenfeld Headers, US Brake, Willy’s Carburetor & Dyno Shop, WIX Filters.