WORTHINGTON, Minn. – The USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour wrapped up a six-night, six-event, three-state campaign Sunday night at the Nobles County Speedway in Worthington, Minn.
Yet another jam-packed grandstand was the backdrop for yet another thrilling show.
And Ryan Gustin picked up yet another win as he led the final 38 of 40 laps to capture his 11th WIX Filters “A” Main of the season – his 12th overall if you throw in the USMTS Castle Rock Recruiting Southern Series win on June 11 – and his fifth win in eight starts in the Dart Great Plains Region presented by Allstar Performance.
The win was worth $2,000 to “The Reaper” as he all but clinched the regional points title, which carries a $2,000 top prize and puts the 19-year-old phenom from Marshalltown, Iowa, over $50,000 in earnings since taking the reigns of the #19r Gressel Racing ride on March 19.
Mike Hansen of nearby Alton, Iowa, drew the pole for Sunday night’s main event and led the first two laps before relinquishing the lead to Gustin. From that point on, it was a race for second.
Starting eighth in the field, Rodney Sanders clawed his way to the front and moved in to challenge Hansen near the halfway point of the race. Sanders was able to make the pass on the restart after a caution with seven laps to go, but Hansen used a restart to get back by the 20-year-old from Happy, Texas, after a caution with five laps to go.
Sanders was able to muscle his way back around Hansen, but was unable to mount a serious challenge to Gustin and had to settle for a runner-up finish.
Tommy Myer and Zack VanderBeek also slipped by Hansen in the closing laps, but Myer’s mount was underweight at the post-race weigh-in and he was disqualified. The result was a third-place finish for VanderBeek, fourth for Hansen and a top-5 finish for nine-time and defending USMTS National Champion Kelly Shryock.
Jon Tesch secured the sixth spot, Al Hejna fought his way to seventh, Corey Dripps came from 22nd to earn an eight-place finish, Dereck Ramirez nabbed ninth and 17-year-old Chase Junghans wound up 10th after advancing from the Real Racing Wheels “B” Main.
After six grueling events through North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota, the mud-slinging USMTS Modifieds get a one-day rest before hitting the trail again for a four-race stretch that will determine the points champion in two regions and set the field for The Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Championship which begins on Thursday, Aug. 12.
On Tuesday, Aug. 3, the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour kicks off the annual Kossuth County Fair with a return to the Algona Raceway in Algona, Iowa, for the first time since Johnny Bone Jr. won a thriller there on Aug. 5, 2004.
The Cresco Speedway in Cresco, Iowa, will welcome back the USMTS dirt merchants on Wednesday, Aug. 4, for the final event in the Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Central States Region presented by Arnold Motor Supply.
The Jackson Speedway in Jackson, Minn., is back on the calendar after a four-year absence. The USMTS Modifieds will take to the half-mile oval on Thursday, Aug. 5, for a Yeager Machine Upper Midwest Region points race.
The Dart Great Plains Region presented by Allstar Performance will crown a champion and advance another batch of competitors into The Hunt with the region’s final race on Friday, Aug. 6, at the Murray County Speedway in Slayton, Minn.
All four events will pay $2,000 to the winner and will also feature the exciting Dart Iron Man Challenge for USRA Karl Chevrolet Stock Cars racing for $1,000 to win each night.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also follow the USMTS on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and YouTube.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Tour – Dart Great Plains Region presented by Allstar Performance
3rd Annual Event presented by UFCW Local 101
Nobles County Speedway, Worthington, Minn.
Sunday, August 1, 2010
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed, reason out (if any) and money won. The top 16 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races are locked into the WIX Filters “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
ISKY RACING CAMS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (2) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D.
2. (3) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
3. (7) 12h Mike Hansen, Alton, Iowa.
4. (4) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa.
5. (9) 69 Lucas Schott (R), Chatfield, Minn.
6. (1) 07 Justin Anderson, Truman, Minn.
7. (8) 27 Don Gerritsen Jr., Rock Rapids, Iowa.
8. (6) 1a Dwaine Hanson, Lakefield, Minn.
9. (5) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa.
NEW VISION GRAPHICS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (3) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
2. (2) 98 Josh Reisch, Luverne, Minn.
3. (8) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn.
4. (4) 19 Marlin Kracht, Luverne, Minn.
5. (6) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn.
6. (5) 3 Jason Briese, Cleghorn, Iowa.
7. (7) 01 Brandon Aggen (R), Rushmore, Minn.
8. (1) 91 Curt Myers (R), Cameron, Wis.
9. (9) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa.
SCHOENFELD HEADERS HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (4) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
2. (2) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
3. (5) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (1) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
5. (7) 65 Tommy Myer, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
6. (3) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
7. (6) 25s Warren Van Westen, Sibley, Iowa.
8. (8) 24 Garry Oskerson, Fairmont, Minn.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN (10 laps, all advance):
1. (2) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
2. (4) 01 Brandon Aggen (R), Rushmore, Minn.
3. (3) 27 Don Gerritsen Jr., Rock Rapids, Iowa.
4. (6) 1a Dwaine Hanson, Lakefield, Minn.
5. (1) 3 Jason Briese, Cleghorn, Iowa.
6. (9) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa.
7. (8) 24 Garry Oskerson, Fairmont, Minn.
8. (7) 91 Curt Myers (R), Cameron, Wis.
9. (5) 25s Warren Van Westen, Sibley, Iowa.
DNS – M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa.
WIX FILTERS “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (4) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $2000.
2. (8) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, Hughes/Sput’s, 40, $1500.
3. (7) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $1000.
4. (1) 12h Mike Hansen, Alton, Iowa, GRT/PerfOnly, 40, $900.
5. (5) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 40, $800.
6. (6) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D., Ramirez/Sput’s, 40, $700.
7. (11) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa, Harris/JR, 40, $650.
8. (22) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa, BC/AEM, 40, $600.
9. (9) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/Sput’s, 40, $550.
10. (17) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., Hughes/Sput’s, 40, $500.
11. (24) 91 Curt Myers (R), Cameron, Wis., Shaw/Mullins, 40, $550.
12. (13) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn., Hillson/CRE, 40, $425.
13. (20) 1a Dwaine Hanson, Lakefield, Minn., Harris/A&M, 40, $275.
14. (19) 27 Don Gerritsen Jr., Rock Rapids, Iowa, Razor/HarryHeads, 40, $375.
15. (16) 07 Justin Anderson, Truman, Minn., Razor/Anderson, 40, $250.
16. (18) 01 Brandon Aggen (R), Rushmore, Minn., Pro/Sput’s, 40, $300.
17. (2) 98 Josh Reisch, Luverne, Minn., Pro/Sput’s, 33, mechanical, $300.
18. (3) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 32, mechanical, $400.
19. (26) M80 Jim Mathieson, Sioux City, Iowa, BeerBuilt/Mathieson, 32, mechanical, $300.
20. (10) 69 Lucas Schott (R), Chatfield, Minn., Hughes/Action, 20, mechanical, $300.
21. (12) 19 Marlin Kracht, Luverne, Minn., Pro/Victory, 18, mechanical, $250.
22. (25) 25s Warren Van Westen, Sibley, Iowa, B&B/VanWesten, 17, mechanical, $250.
23. (21) 3 Jason Briese, Cleghorn, Iowa, Skyrocket/JR, 12, mechanical, $250.
24. (15) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 9, suspension, $300.
25. (23) 24 Garry Oskerson, Fairmont, Minn., Shaw/Weseman, 0, crash, $250.
DQ – (14) 65 Tommy Myer, Blooming Prairie, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $90.
(R) = DandyLand Farms Rookie of the Year contender.
WIX Filters Lap Leaders: Hansen 1-2, Gustin 3-40.
Total Laps Led: Gustin 38, Hansen 2.
Margin of Victory: 1.541 seconds.
AFCO Pole Winner: Gustin.
PBM Performance Products Hard Charger: Dripps (started 22nd, finished 8th).
Ruter Farms Long Tow: Myers (277.61 miles).
Next Race: Tuesday, Aug. 3, Algona Raceway, Algona, Iowa.
Dart Great Plains Region Points: Gustin 809, VanderBeek 747, Tesch 707, Ramirez 584, Shryock 572, Hansen 556, Steensma 548, Junghans 509, Krohn 462, Mathieson 415.
DandyLand Farms Rookie of the Year Points: Johnny Scott 1283, Nick Deal 650, Myers 494, Jason Grimes 473, Schott 450.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 271, Sput’s 263, ASI 196, AEM 109, KSE 101.
Chassis Builders Championship Points: Hughes 269, Skyrocket 259, GRT 196, Ramirez 187, BC 100.
Ai-Racing – Ramirez.
American Racer – Ramirez.
Belleville Motor Sports – Shryock, Junghans, Schott.
Dart Machinery – Hillson.
Eibach Springs – not awarded.
Forty9Designs.com – Hansen, Ramirez.
Hooker Harness – not awarded.
Isky Racing Cams – Tesch.
KSE Racing Products – Sanders.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Myer.
Out-Pace Racing Products – Myers.
PBM Performance Products – Dripps.
Quarter Master – Gustin, Dripps.
QuickTime – Hejna.
Real Racing Wheels – Dripps.
Schoenfeld Headers – Gustin.
WIX Filters – Gustin.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS TITLE SPONSORS: Casey’s General Stores, Castle Rock Recruiting.
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AwesomeRacesuits.com, GoPro, Intercomp, Karl Chevrolet, Kevko Oil Pans & Components, New Vision Graphics, Nitroquest, RACEceiver.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Allstar Performance, Arnold Motor Supply, ASi Racewear, Bad Boy Mowers, Bear Tire, Big Dog Chassis & Fabrication, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Cagle Motorsports, Centex Motorsports, DandyLand Farms, Day Motor Sports, Dirt Track Racing School, Dirthead.com, DirtKnights.com, Falcon Wind Power, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Gressel Oil Field Service, Intensitee Custom Racewear, Just Say Yes, Karl Performance Parts, Olympic Fire Protection, Ramirez Race Cars, Ruter Farms, WIX Filters, Yeager Machine.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Ai-Racing, Belleville Motorsports, ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems, COMP Cams, Dart Machinery, Dynatech Racing Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, Forty9Designs.com, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, Hypercoil Springs, Isky Racing Cams, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, Out-Pace Racing Products, PBM Performance Products, Quarter Master, QuickTime Inc, Real Racing Wheels, RHS – Racing Head Service, Schoenfeld Headers, US Brake, Willy’s Carburetor & Dyno Shop, WIX Filters.