MONETT, Mo.—To say that 2014 has been a dream season for Rodney Sanders may be an understatement, but to the rest of the rugged road warriors of the United States Modified Touring Series there’s little doubt it has been a nightmare trying to keep pace with the defending USMTS national champion.
Fresh off a wire-to-wire win 24 hours earlier at the Springfield Raceway, Sanders unloaded his #20 Swan Energy MBCustoms Modified Sunday afternoon at the Monett Speedway and then proceeded to sweep the night’s events and rack up his 19th win under the USMTS banner this season.
The 24-year-old from Happy, Texas, has claimed ten of the last eleven checkered flags, including a win at the World Modified Dirt Track Championship. His 37th career win Sunday night pushed him to fifth on the USMTS all-time wins list—one more than Jon Tesch and five shy of tying Tommy Myer’s 42-win mark.
In regards to the 16-year history of the USMTS, Sanders has the opportunity to put together the most prolific season ever. Just three years ago, Ryan Gustin led 771 main event laps and won 24 times in 71 starts while claiming his first USMTS title.
Nothing to date, however, has eclipsed Kelly Shryock’s 2006 campaign. In winning the eighth of his nine championships, Shryock netted 30 wins in 59 starts while leading 823 laps. His string of 11 consecutive wins that year still stands as the best ever after Sanders saw his streak of eight straight wins come to an end on Friday night in Batesville, Ark., at the hands of Terry Phillips.
So far this year, Sanders has led 550 laps while garnering 19 wins in 49 starts. With 17 races remaining in the Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s National Championship and eight more nights of special events yet to go, a record-setting season for ‘The Rocket’ is undoubtedly within the realm of possibilities.
While Sanders led all 40 laps from the pole Sunday night, Johnny Bone Jr. recorded his best result with the USMTS in nearly four years with a runner-up finish while Phillips claimed the third spot.
Stormy Scott, who came into ‘The Hunt’ as the points leader, bounced back from the previous two nights of struggles to secure a fourth-place finish while his younger twin brother, Johnny Scott, took fifth.
Mitch Keeter came from 15th to place sixth, Cade Dillard was seventh, Zack VanderBeek wound up eighth, Daniel Hilsabeck nabbed ninth and Joe Duvall rounded out the top 10 at the finish line.
After three races in the Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s National Championship, Sanders holds a 68-point advantage (388 to 320) over Johnny Scott. VanderBeek is third with 313 markers, followed by Stormy Scott (311), Shryock (309), Hilsabeck (299), Phillips (295), Dereck Ramirez (273), Duvall (266) and Dillard (255).
Four more rounds in the Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s National Championship will be in the books by next Sunday, beginning with an encore show at the 81 Speedway in Park City, Kan., on Thursday, Aug. 7. From there, the series makes its final stop of the season at the Humboldt Speedway in Humboldt, Kan., on Friday, Aug. 8, and then makes the annual trek to Wheatland, Mo., and the Lucas Oil Speedway for the 5th Annual Lucas Slick Mist Shootout on Saturday, Aug. 9. The weekend wraps up with a visit to the West Siloam Speedway near Colcord, Okla., on Sunday, Aug. 10.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
The Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s National Championship – Round 3 of 20
Monett Speedway, Monett, Mo.
Sunday, August 3, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder and money won. The top 12 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races were locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
C&R RACING HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (6) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
2. (1) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
3. (2) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan.
4. (7) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
5. (5) 7d Austin Theiss (R), Hockley, Texas.
6. (9) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
7. (8) 52 Mitch Keeter, Joplin, Mo.
8. (4) 5 Tom Diers (R), Rogersville, Mo.
9. (3) 7 Sean Gaddis, Hallsville, Texas.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (1) 12b Johnny Bone Jr., Pea Ridge, Ark.
2. (3) 21r Jesse Stovall, Galena, Mo.
3. (2) 118 Terry Beckham II, Webb City, Mo.
4. (8) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
5. (6) 2 Kenny Gaddis, Hallsville, Texas.
6. (7) 26 Brian Williams, Fayetteville, Ark.
7. (4) 73 Mickey Burrell, Fair Grove, Mo.
8. (5) 2 Grant Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (2) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
2. (1) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan.
3. (5) 99h Trevor Hunt, Kearney, Mo.
4. (8) 75g Jordan Grabouski, Beatrice, Neb.
5. (4) 36m Logan Martin, West Plains, Mo.
6. (3) 11n Gene Nicholas, Lowell, Ark.
7. (6) 27 Juston Mitchell, Joplin, Mo.
8. (7) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M.
PBM PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (1) 97 Cade Dillard (R), Robeline, La.
2. (4) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
3. (8) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
4. (3) 27L Trevor Latham, Rogers, Ark.
5. (6) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
6. (5) 22b Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan.
7. (7) 40 Brian Green, Pierce City, Mo.
8. (2) 71 Jim Body, Diamond, Mo.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #1 (15 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (1) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (7) 52 Mitch Keeter, Joplin, Mo.
3. (2) 118 Terry Beckham II, Webb City, Mo.
4. (3) 2 Kenny Gaddis, Hallsville, Texas.
5. (10) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M.
6. (5) 36m Logan Martin, West Plains, Mo., GRT/SCP, $80.
7. (6) 11n Gene Nicholas, Lowell, Ark., TRE/BMS, $80.
8. (8) 27 Juston Mitchell, Joplin, Mo., TRE/Yeoman, $80.
9. (9) 5 Tom Diers (R), Rogersville, Mo., Hoffman/Yeoman, $100.
10. (11) 7 Sean Gaddis, Hallsville, Texas, Harris/Brown, $80.
11. (4) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #2 (15 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (1) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan.
2. (3) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
3. (8) 40 Brian Green, Pierce City, Mo.
4. (4) 7d Austin Theiss (R), Hockley, Texas.
5. (5) 26 Brian Williams, Fayetteville, Ark.
6. (2) 27L Trevor Latham, Rogers, Ark., BMS/Ora’s, $80.
7. (7) 73 Mickey Burrell, Fair Grove, Mo., TRE/BMS, $100.
8. (9) 2 Grant Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., FastMaster/Sput’s, $100.
9. (6) 22b Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan.
10. (10) 71 Jim Body, Diamond, Mo., Hoffman/Garrison, $80.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (1) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustom/Geddes, $3000.
2. (3) 12b Johnny Bone Jr., Pea Ridge, Ark., TRE/Homegrown, $1500.
3. (4) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Hatfield, $1200.
4. (2) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, $1000.
5. (5) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/Cornett, $900.
6. (15) 52 Mitch Keeter, Joplin, Mo., Hoffman/Yeoman, $700.
7. (6) 97 Cade Dillard (R), Robeline, La., LG2/105, $700.
8. (13) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, $650.
9. (11) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, $600.
10. (8) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustom/Mullins, $550.
11. (7) 21r Jesse Stovall, Galena, Mo., Xtreme/Yeoman, $400.
12. (23) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, $450.
13. (9) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan., GRT/Hatfield, $425.
14. (10) 99h Trevor Hunt, Kearney, Mo., GRT/Spanel, $400.
15. (17) 118 Terry Beckham II, Webb City, Mo., TRE/Hatfield, $300.
16. (21) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/AOS, $350.
17. (16) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/Cornett, $400.
18. (20) 7d Austin Theiss (R), Hockley, Texas, LG2/Durham, $300.
19. (22) 26 Brian Williams, Fayetteville, Ark., Hughes/Ora’s, $250.
20. (24) 22b Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan., MBCustom/Mullins, $300.
21. (14) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan., Hughes/Driskell, $300.
22. (19) 2 Kenny Gaddis, Hallsville, Texas, Hughes/PTS, $250.
23. (12) 75g Jordan Grabouski, Beatrice, Neb., GRT/Hatfield, $300.
24. (18) 40 Brian Green, Pierce City, Mo., Chaos/GMPP, $250.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leader: Sanders 1-40.
Total Laps Led: Sanders 40.
Provisional Starters: Shryock, Beebe.
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: Phillips.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: Keeter (started 15th, finished 6th).
Next Race: Thursday, Aug. 7, 81 Speedway, Park City, Kan.
Hunt for the Casey’s National Championship Points: Sanders 388, J. Scott 320, VanderBeek 313, S. Scott 311, Shryock 309, Hilsabeck 299, Phillips 295, Ramirez 273, Duvall 266, Dillard 255.
Rookie of the Year Points: Gallardo 1741, Adam Penn 1436, Dillard 1418, Dylan Smith 1298, Theiss 990.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 346, Sput’s 341, Geddes 322, Mullins 230, ASI 166.
Tiger Quick Change Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 393, MBCustom 374, Ramirez 307, GRT 305, Hughes 249.
American Racer – Phillips.
Beyea Custom Headers – Shryock.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – Theiss.
C&R Racing – Phillips.
Edelbrock – Sanders.
FK Rod Ends – not awarded.
Forty9Designs.com – Hunt.
Fuel Safe – not awarded.
GRT Race Cars – Hunt.
Hooker Harness – Allen.
JRi Shocks – not awarded.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – Hilsabeck.
Keyser Manufacturing – Duvall.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Grabouski.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – not awarded.
MSD Ignition – Sanders.
PBM Performance Products – Dillard, Sanders.
Power Lift Racing Products – Ramirez.
Real Racing Wheels – Diers, Burrell, Junghans.
Sybesma Graphics – Phillips.
VP Racing Fuels – Sanders.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AMP Energy, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear, COMP Cams, Day Motor Sports, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, MSD, Nitroquest Media Group, RACEceiver, RacinDirt.com, Snickers, SpiderWeb Modular Storage Solutions, Swan Energy, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Double H Bands, ElbowsUp.com, Erson Cams, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Major League Bowhunter, Mesilla Valley Transportation, New Vision Graphics, Olympic Fire Protection, Penn Transport, Road Runner Crane, Road Runner Trucking, S&S Fishing & Rental, United Cellular Services.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Bell Racing Helmets, Beyea Custom Headers, Brass Monkey Racing Products, C&R Racing, CPD Racing Tools, Edelbrock, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, JRi Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Power Lift Racing Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Tiger Rear Ends.