WAYNESFIELD (OH) – 30-year-old Findlay, Ohio native driver Drew Rader saved the best for late when he pulled up beside Hall of Famer Dave Darland coming off turn four and at the checkers Rader would win the 9th Annual Jack Hewitt Classic 25 lap feature race at Waynesfield (OH) Speedway by just an inch. Darland and Rader both started in the front row of the 24 car Rick’s Trucks & Equipment – Buckeye Outlaw Sprint Series (BOSS) field, but as Darland showed the way setting a torrid pace, Rader would drop back to fourth before mounting his charge with but a handful of laps to go. “I did not know if I could do it or not, Dave is so tough,” said Rader. “He is so good, he makes it look easy, we got it done, this is awesome. This is only my second career win, so it has to be my biggest win ever,” noted Rader.
Darland would fire like out of a canon from the beginning and go straight out on point to show the way. Matt Westfall would follow Darland right up and drop in second with Rader dropping back to third from his Pole starting position. Just a handful of laps in and the only yellow of the night would fly when three of the races heavy hitters got waded up in turn one. Dallas Hewitt, Kody Swanson, and Shane Cottle all spun and came to a start. All would restart but at the tail of the field and would never be a factor to the outcome. Back green and Darland took off, soon into lapped traffic. Dustin Smith, Rader, and Kyle Simon would all get knotted up in a struggle for the top five as Westfall and Darland made way. Simon would move into third with Rader fourth as laps clicked off. Westfall would begin to falter and fall into the hands of Simon first and then Rader. As Rader passed Westfall he used that momentum and sailed by Simon into second position with Darland half a straightaway in front. Now five to go and Rader cut the deficit in half as he continued to carry the momentum and Darland stayed busy with heavy lap traffic. Three to go and Rader was there and at the white flag he pulled up beside the race long leader. On the return trip to turns three and four Rader grabbed the inside preferred line and coming off turn four pushed up enough that Darland had to take evasive action and at the checkers it was 0.015 separation of second and first. Simon would hang on for third Westfall rebounded to fourth and Scotty Weir rounded out the top five.
“It kind of worked out to my advantage when he pulled out in front of us. I saw how he was getting through spots where I was making mistakes, so you might as well learn from the best. Once I stopped making those mistakes I got it going. Dave was getting through lapped traffic a little bit better than me so I just had to watch what he was doing and figure out how to be fast. I felt like I hit a really good groove coming off turn two every lap. As long as I could keep the car rotated with the nose down on the track I could really get on the throttle coming off the corner carrying it into three and then all the momentum through turn four. Dave was getting through lapped traffic a little better than me, so I just had to use that to my advantage,” finished the happy race winner.
“We were good early, the car was really good,” stated Darland. “The track started out with moisture but halfway through it slicked off. I was good in the middle of one and two and at the top of three and four, the race track just went away, and then the car went away at the end. Then we got into that heavy traffic there at the end, whatever that kids name is there at the end he did a hell of a job, I was sailing around there till I lost the track,” finished Darland.
“We were not very good the first couple laps, but when we got that yellow I could adjust the right rear shock a little and it got better,” said Simon. “I just went to the bottom and the car kept getting better every lap. Then with ten to go I realized I was catching them. Lapped traffic was an issue that late in the race. I can’t thank the team enough for this car tonight. Just lapped traffic became an issue when the track polished off,” finished Simon.
43 BOSS Sprinters were on hand to fight for the 24 A-Main starting positions. The five heat race winners included Shane Cottle, Dallas Hewitt, Kody Swanson, Drew Rader, and Darland. The two B-Mains were nailed down by Tyler Hewitt and Dane Lorenc. Scotty Weir set Fast Time with a blistering lap of, 12.320.
Speed Sport News
Area Auto Racing News
Waynesfield Raceway Park
August 5, 2017
Jack Hewitt Classic
Non Wings – Buckeye Outlaw Sprint Series
Rick’s Trucks & Equipment BOSS Qualifying
1.22S-Scotty Weir, 12.320; 2.69R-Dallas Hewitt, 12.371; 3.53-Steve Little, 12.438; 4.97X-Tyler Hewitt, 12.486; 5.40-Dave Darland, 12.505; 6.21P-Carmen Pergo21, 12.521; 7.57-Shane Cottle, 12.526; 8.44-Michael Fischesser, 12.537; 9.42-Ty Tilton, 12.562; 10.23S-Kyle Simon, 12.624; 11.24-Landon Simon, 12.658; 12.21K-Kody Swanson, 12.674; 13.77-Dustin Smith, 12.714; 14.2DI-Dustin Ingle, 12.799; 15.54-Matt Westfall, 12.803; 16.21H-Travis Hery, 12.815; 17.74-Drew Rader, 12.842; 18.19-Matt Cooley, 12.868; 19.9N-Luke Hall, 12.879; 20.9G-Cody Gardner, 12.939; 21.39-Matt Goodnight, 12.969; 22.9X-Cooper Clouse, 12.985; 23.24L-Lee Underwood, 12.999; 24.4J-Justin Owen, 13.014; 25.87-Paul Dues, 13.015; 26.59J-Kirk Jeffries, 13.053; 27.e99-Gage Etgen, 13.073; 28.91X-Aaron Middaugh, 13.075; 29.14-Chad Wilson, 13.166; 30.18K-Todd Keen, 13.191; 31.41-Brad Wyatt, 13.194; 32.08-Andy Feil, 13.244; 33.32M-Derek Hasting, 13.425; 34.5-Bob McMillin, 13.504; 35.18W-Travis Welpott, 13.610; 36.17-Kevin Myers, 13.634; 37.31L-Buddy Lowther, 13.648; 38.3-Joe Butero, 13.665; 39.1J-Jeremy Shambaugh, 13.682; 40.39G-Dane Lorenc, 13.777; 41.96-Riley VanHise, 13.854; 42.51-Curtis Muhlenkamp, 13.973; 43.82-Mike Miller, 99.991;
DRC Chassis – Heat 1, Group A – (8 Laps)
1. 57-Shane Cottle ; 2. 22S-Scotty Weir ; 3. 42-Ty Tilton ; 4. 2DI-Dustin Ingle ; 5. 44-Michael Fischesser ; 6. 4J-Justin Owen ; 7. 08-Andy Feil ; 8. 19-Matt Cooley
Lias Tire / American Racer – Heat 2, Group B – (8 Laps)
1. 69R-Dallas Hewitt ; 2. 21P-Carmen Pergo21 ; 3. 59J-Kirk Jeffries ; 4. 87-Paul Dues ; 5. 39G-Dane Lorenc ; 6. 1J-Jeremy Shambaugh ; 7. 53-Steve Little ; 8. 91X-Aaron Middaugh ; 9. 3-Joe Butero
Hoosier Race Tire – Heat 3, Group C – (8 Laps)
1. 21K-Kody Swanson ; 2. 24-Landon Simon ; 3. 23S-Kyle Simon ; 4. 24L-Lee Underwood ; 5. 97X-Tyler Hewitt ; 6. e99-Gage Etgen ; 7. 96-Riley VanHise ; 8. 5-Bob McMillin ; 9. 51-Curtis Muhlenkamp
TCB Speed – Heat 4, Group D – (8 Laps)
1. 74-Drew Rader ; 2. 77-Dustin Smith ; 3. 9G-Cody Gardner ; 4. 21H-Travis Hery ; 5. 39-Matt Goodnight ; 6. 31L-Buddy Lowther ; 7. 18W-Travis Welpott ; 8. 41-Brad Wyatt
Superior Bearing & Supply – Heat 5, Group E – (8 Laps)
1. 40-Dave Darland ; 2. 54-Matt Westfall ; 3. 9N-Luke Hall ; 4. 9X-Cooper Clouse ; 5. 14-Chad Wilson ; 6. 32M-Derek Hasting ; 7. 17-Kevin Myers ; 8. 18K-Todd Keen
The Blue Room – B-Main 1 – (10 Laps)
1. 97X-Tyler Hewitt ; 2. 44-Michael Fischesser ; 3. 14-Chad Wilson ; 4. 08-Andy Feil ; 5. 1J-Jeremy Shambaugh ; 6. 17-Kevin Myers ; 7. 31L-Buddy Lowther ; 8. 3-Joe Butero ; 9. 96-Riley VanHise ; 10. 91X-Aaron Middaugh ; 11. 41-Brad Wyatt ; 12. 82-Mike Miller
FAST Signs – B-Main 2 – (10 Laps)
1. 39G-Dane Lorenc ; 2. e99-Gage Etgen ; 3. 19-Matt Cooley ; 4. 4J-Justin Owen ; 5. 39-Matt Goodnight ; 6. 18W-Travis Welpott ; 7. 32M-Derek Hasting ; 8. 51-Curtis Muhlenkamp ; 9. 5-Bob McMillin ; 10. 53-Steve Little ; 11. 18K-Todd Keen
Rick’s Trucks & Equipment BOSS – A-Main 1 – (25 Laps)
1. 74-Drew Rader ; 2. 40-Dave Darland ; 3. 23S-Kyle Simon ; 4. 54-Matt Westfall ; 5. 22S-Scotty Weir ; 6. 2DI-Dustin Ingle ; 7. 77-Dustin Smith ; 8. 21P-Carmen Pergo21 ; 9. 9G-Cody Gardner ; 10. 9N-Luke Hall ; 11. 24-Landon Simon ; 12. 9X-Cooper Clouse ; 13. 57-Shane Cottle ; 14. 59J-Kirk Jeffries ; 15. 44-Michael Fischesser ; 16. 24L-Lee Underwood ; 17. 97X-Tyler Hewitt ; 18. e99-Gage Etgen ; 19. 42-Ty Tilton ; 20. 87-Paul Dues ; 21. 39G-Dane Lorenc ; 22. 21H-Travis Hery ; 23. 69R-Dallas Hewitt ; 24. 21K-Kody Swanson
Bonus Award Winners:
The Bridge Restaurant “Hard Charger” – Kyle Simon +10
Apple Metal Polishing “Lucky Pill Draw” – Buddy Lowther
J F Construction “Hard Luck Award” – Mike Miller
McMillin Apiaries “Sweet Move” – Travis Welpott
Cowen Truck Lines “Steel Block Award” – Carmen Perigo
All Pro Cylinder Heads “Perseverance Award” – Gage Etgen
Lias Tire / American Racer Tire Bonus – Dustin Smith
Hoosier Race Tire Bonus – Drew Rader