WEST UNION, Iowa (Sept. 1)–On a special Friday night program where drivers, crews, fans and officials paid tribute to Karsyn’s Krusaders founder Jessica Miller and not only came to race, but to also raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer research, Ryan Gustin and the rest of the Best of the Best gave the fans at Fayette County Speedway a show to remember.
Gustin, who started ninth on the grid, churned the clay around the high side of the West Union, Iowa, oval and tracked down leader Jake Timm by the halfway point of the race.
Once out front, Gustin led the rest of the way and held off a furious late-race charge by Lucas Schott to take the win and another $4,500 payday.
Polesitter Josh Angst took the lead initially, and set a strong pace for the first 14 laps before Timm used lapped traffic to snag the top spot on lap 15.
Meanwhile, Gustin was virtually alone on the high side which kept his path clear while many others struggled with back-markers looking to share the same line down low.
Schott eventually found the high line to his liking too, and reeled in Gustin late in the race but could only get beside-but not in front of-Gustin and had to settle for the runner-up paycheck.
Zack VanderBeek was strong early, got mired in traffic and slipped back, but regained his momentum and was closing on the lead duo when the checkered flag waved at the end of 40 laps.
Tenth-starting Cade Dillard followed in fourth and Timm held on for fifth. Jason Hughes, Stormy Scott, Josh Angst, Dereck Ramirez and Jake O’Neil completed the top 10.
Seeking his third straight USMTS national title, Hughes slipped by Scott with two laps remaining and padded his points lead over him by three markers rather than losing ground in the points chase.
Hughes now leads Scott by 50 points (1839 to 1789) with just three points races left to go. Dillard is the only other driver with a mathematical shot at dethroning Hughes and sits third with 1732 points.
Ramirez (1683), Gustin (1625), VanderBeek (1616), Timm (1605), R.C. Whitwell (1590), Travis Saurer (1534) and Ricky Thornton Jr. (1518) hold down the rest of the top 10 spots.
Saturday’s 12th Annual Labor Day Duel presented by Barclay Landscaping will be the 98th night of USMTS racing at ‘The Creek.’ Kelly Shryock won the first-ever race here on May 25, 2002, but since that say defending USMTS national champion Jason Hughes has a series-best 14 career victories here.
Shryock is second on the all-time list with 10 wins here while Rodney Sanders has collected eight checkered flags. Tim Donlinger and Terry Phillips have five wins each. Ryan Gustin, Jason Cummins and Brad Waits have four apiece. Zack VanderBeek, Joey Jensen and Brandon Davis have each won three times.
Two-time winners include Corey Dripps, Jason Krohn, Ryan Ruter, Stormy Scott, Lucas Schott and, most recently, Cade Dillard who won here Memorial Day Weekend.
Drivers who have visited Deer Creek Speedway’s victory lane one time include Mark Noble, Steve Wetzstein, Darin Walker, Tony Fraise, Dan Daniels, Chad Kinder, Mark Burgtorf, Brad McEwan, Randy Timms, Dean Mahlstedt, Tommy Myer, Mike Sorensen, Mike Spaulding, Dan Chapman, Les Duellman, Mike Hejna, Steve Arpin, Jon Tesch, Jordan Grabouski, Jeremy Payne, Craig Thatcher and last year’s Featherlite Fall Jamboree winner Tommy Weder Jr.
The pit gate opens at 2 p.m. and spectator gats swing open at 2:30 with Slingshots racing at 3 p.m. on the Button Buck Speedway inside the high-banked 3/8-mile clay oval. Hot laps begin at 5:30 and racing starts at 6 p.m. Adult general admission is $20 and kids ages 12 & under get in for $5. Pit passes are $35 for grown-ups, $20 for kids ages 6-15 and free for children 5 & under.
Coupons good for $2 off adult admission available at Casey’s General Stores locations in Austin, Blooming Prairie, Dodge Center, Hayfield, Mantorville, Oronoco, Preston, Rochester, Spring Valley and Stewartville, plus Cresco, Lime Springs, Osage, Riceville and St. Ansgar in Iowa. To find the location nearest you, visit www.caseys.com.
Cory Crapser and his Mountain Dew Spiked Lemonade USMTS Modified will be at the Casey’s General Store located at 605 S. Main St. in Stewartville from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fans can get a special $5-off ‘Hot Ticket’ directly from Crapser during his appearance.
The night’s on-track action will also showcase the Iron Man Challenge featuring Holley USRA Stock Cars and Out-Pace USRA B-Mods plus Wissota Street Stocks.
The Deer Creek Speedway is located 11.3 miles south of I-90 (exit 209) on US 63 (0.7 mile north of SR 16) in Spring Valley, Minn. For more info, call 877-327-7223 or (507) 346-2342 on race day or visit www.deercreekspeedway.com online.
The stars and cars of the USMTS will invade the Cresco Speedway on Sunday for the 15th Annual USMTS Cresco Bowl and the next-to-last event in the Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by S&S Fishing & Rental.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS by joining our email list at www.usmts.com/subscribe.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup powered by S&S Fishing & Rental
Fayette County Speedway, West Union, Iowa
Friday, Sept. 1, 2017
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (4) 99 Josh Angst, Winona, Minn.
2. (5) 49jr Jake Timm, Winona, Minn.
3. (6) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn.
4. (2) 20rt Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz.
5. (1) 00 J.D. Auringer, Evansdale, Iowa.
6. (9) 4d Tim Donlinger, Rochester, Minn.
7. (7) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
8. (8) 23b Brett Bumgardner (R), Hawkeye, Iowa.
9. (3) 14 Scott Stiffler (R), Farmdale, Ohio.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 96 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz.
2. (4) 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark.
3. (5) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (6) 55 Cory Mahder (R), Eau Claire, Wis.
5. (9) 2t Jake O’Neil (R), Tucson, Ariz.
6. (7) 1m Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis.
7. (8) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
8. (1) 33fF Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
9. (3) 1g Pat Graham, Ankeny, Iowa.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (2) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (1) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
3. (5) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
4. (7) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
5. (3) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn.
6. (8) 71 Philip Houston, Odessa, Texas.
7. (4) 14 Amanda Stiffler (R), Farmdale, Ohio.
8. (6) 00 Owen Grube (R), Cambridge, Minn.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN (10 laps, all advance):
1. (5) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (2) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn.
3. (4) 1m Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis.
4. (6) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
5. (1) 00 J.D. Auringer, Evansdale, Iowa.
6. (3) 71 Philip Houston, Odessa, Texas.
7. (9) 33f Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo.
8. (8) 23b Brett Bumgardner (R), Hawkeye, Iowa.
9. (11) 14 Scott Stiffler (R), Farmdale, Ohio.
10. (12) 1g Pat Graham, Ankeny, Iowa.
11. (7) 14 Amanda Stiffler (R), Farmdale, Ohio.
12. (10) 00 Owen Grube (R), Cambridge, Minn.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (9) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $4500.
2. (5) 69 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn., MBCustoms/Sput’s, 40, $1700.
3. (7) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Sput’s, 40, $1200.
4. (10) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustoms/ASI, 40, $1000.
5. (4) 49jr Jake Timm, Winona, Minn., MBCustoms/Sput’s, 40, $900.
6. (8) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $800.
7. (15) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., VanderBuilt/Mullins, 40, $700.
8. (1) 99 Josh Angst, Winona, Minn., MBCustoms/Sput’s, 40, $650.
9. (2) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., LG2/Cornett, 40, $600.
10. (12) 2t Jake O’Neil (R), Tucson, Ariz., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $550.
11. (16) 1s Travis Saurer (R), Elizabeth, Minn., MBCustoms/Dakota, 40, $500.
12. (11) 55 Cory Mahder (R), Eau Claire, Wis., MBCustoms/Powerline, 40, $450.
13. (3) 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark., MBCustoms/Hatfield, 40, $425.
14. (18) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis., MBCustoms/Troy’s, 40, $400.
15. (21) 33f Jardin Fuller (R), Memphis, Mo., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $375.
16. (14) 4d Tim Donlinger, Rochester, Minn., LG2/Cornett, 40, $275.
17. (24) 1g Pat Graham, Ankeny, Iowa, Victory/Karl, 39, $325.
18. (22) 23b Brett Bumgardner (R), Hawkeye, Iowa, SSR/Midnight, 39, $300.
19. (26) 00 Owen Grube (R), Cambridge, Minn., SSR/KSE, 38, $300.
20. (13) 20rt Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz., Shaw/Mullins, 34, $400.
21. (17) 1m Curt Myers, Cameron, Wis., GRT/Sput’s, 34, $300.
22. (20) 71 Philip Houston, Odessa, Texas, MBCustoms/KPE, 34, $300.
23. (6) 96 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz., MBCustoms/Hatfield, 21, $400.
24. (19) 00 J.D. Auringer, Evansdale, Iowa, Rage/KSE, 17, $300.
25. (23) 14 Scott Stiffler (R), Farmdale, Ohio, Taylor/HRE, 17, $300.
26. (25) 14 Amanda Stiffler (R), Farmdale, Ohio, Taylor/HRE, 16, $300.
(R) = Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year contender
Lap Leaders: Angst 1-14, Timm 15-20, Gustin 21-40.
Total Laps Led: Gustin 20, Angst 14, Timm 6.
Margin of Victory: 0.248 second.
Time of Race: 18 minutes, 58.269 seconds (2 cautions).
Provisional Starters: none.
KSE Racing Products Hard Charger: Gustin (started 9th, finished 1st).
Next Race: Saturday, Sept. 2, Deer Creek Speedway, Spring Valley, Minn.
Hunt for the Casey’s Cup Points: Hughes 1839, Scott 1789, Dillard 1732, Ramirez 1683, Gustin 1625, VanderBeek 1616, Timm 1605, Whitwell 1590, Saurer 1534, Thornton 1518.
Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year Points: Whitwell 1994, Saurer 1912, Wolff 1819, Zane DeVilbiss 1549, Adam Kates 1484.
Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 517, Sput’s 425, ASI 398, Hatfield 314, Cornett 294.
Manufacturers Championship Points: Hughes 510, MBCustoms 503, VanderBuilt 442, GRT 372, LG2 362.
Allstar Performance – Angst.
American Racer – Graham.
Beyea Custom Headers – Schott.
BigDeal Car Care – Gustin.
BSB Manufacturing – Myers.
Casey’s General Stores – Donlinger.
Chix Gear Racewear – Ramirez.
Deatherage Opticians – Mahder.
Dickson Racing Shocks – Fuller.
E3 Spark Plugs – VanderBeek.
Edelbrock – VanderBeek.
Fast Shafts – Whitwell.
Fuel Safe Racing Cells – Hughes.
GRT Race Cars – Myers.
Hooker Custom Harness – Wolff.
Integra Shocks & Springs – Bumgardner.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts – Graham.
Keyser Manufacturing – O’Neil.
KSE Racing Products – Gustin.
Out-Pace Racing Products – Donlinger.
QA1 – O’Neil.
Real Racing Wheels – all non-qualifiers.
Simpson Performance Products – Angst.
Sweet Manufacturing – Houston.
Swift Springs – Gustin.
Sybesma Graphics – Angst.
Tire Demon – Saurer.
VP Racing Fuels – Gustin.
Wehrs Machine & Racing Products – Schott.
Wilwood Engineering – Scott.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Argo Manufacturing, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear Racewear, CP-Carrillo, Deatherage Opticians, Fast Shafts, Intercomp, KSE Racing Products, Leaf Racewear & Safety Equipment, Malvern Bank, MSD, Pace Performance, RacerWebsite.com, RacinDirt.com, RacingJunk.com, S&S Fishing & Rental, SToK Cold-Brew Coffee, Summit Racing Equipment, The Joie of Seating, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Duvall Electric, ElbowsUp.com, Mesilla Valley Transportation, Oreo, Production Jars, Rancho Milagro Racing, RHRSwag.com, YouDirt.com.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: 905 Ink, AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Beyea Custom Headers, BigDeal Car Care, BSB Manufacturing, Day Motor Sports, Dickson Racing Shocks, E3 Spark Plugs, Edelbrock, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Holley Performance Products, Hooker Custom Harness, Integra Shocks & Springs, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, Keyser Manufacturing, Out-Pace Racing Products, QA1 Precision Products, Real Racing Wheels, Simpson Performance Products, Sweet Manufacturing, Swift Springs, Sybesma Graphics, Tire Demon, Wehrs Machine & Race Products, Wilwood Disc Brakes.